I have a starting problem

DENVERGAB
  • 1986 HONDA BALLADE

I have a starting problem. The motor struggles to swing as if the battery is flat. I put in a new battery, still the same. Checked the starter brushes, still very good. When I retard the the ignition timimng it will start but then she doesnt want to pull. She is dead. What is the issue here. Pulling my hair out already. Please help

Thursday, November 1st, 2012 AT 1:14 PM

DRCRANKNWRENCH

I would check the battery cables. They should have a clean, metal to metal contact fit at both ends of the positive and the negative cable. The postive cable runs from the battery to the starter. The negative cable runs from the battery to the engine block or frame. This is a general routing of battery cables, you might find yours is different. In any case just make sure the cables are free from corrosion and have a good metal contact so there is good eletrical flow. This will ensure that the voltage from the battery is getting to the starter.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
-1
Thursday, November 1st, 2012 AT 2:01 PM