STARTING

1985 Chevrolet Silverado

jcole0916

November, 28, 2010 AT 5:02 PM

I have a 1985 chevy pickup which had been sitting out in the cold for about a month. I went to start it and it turned over pretty slow. I tried a couple more times then I got cables and tried to jumpstart it but when I turned the key with the cables hooked up it wouldn't even try to turn over. Could something have burned up or a fuse blown?

November, 28, 2010 AT 5:16 PM

If the battery is down, you need to take it off and get it charged. You can't do any testing without a charged battery. Some of the national brand autostores will test it and charge.

jcole0916

November, 28, 2010 AT 5:17 PM

Ok but I forgot to mention that all the lights and warning buzzers work fine which makes me think that the battery has a charge.

November, 28, 2010 AT 5:52 PM

Use a digital multimeter across your battery posts, key off. 12.6 volts is generic spec for full charge. Take same reading key in the crank position, shouldn't drop below nine volts.

Another thing you can try, turn on your headlamps, watch the lamps when you turn the key to the crank position. If the lites go out or almost, usually the battery or connections. If the lites stay bright, no reaction, key in the crank position, there may be an open circuit to the starter. Some of the national brand autostores will test the starter for you, if you take it to them.

Battery Replacement
Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000