1985 Chevrolet Silverado brake fluid reservoir

HENRYR79
  • 1985 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Is the smallest, rearmost brake fluid reservoir for the front or rear brakes?

Wednesday, September 24th, 2014 AT 5:52 PM

The smaller reservoir is for drum brakes, (rear) because very little fluid is needed during the life of the shoes. As front disc brake pads wear, the pistons move out of the calipers to self-adjust. Brake fluid fills in behind the pistons so the level goes down in the reservoir. Professionals never top off the brake fluid during other routine services like oil changes because when new pads are installed, the pistons have to be pushed back into the calipers and doing that will push the brake fluid back up into the reservoir. That fluid needs a place to go.

When you work with any part that touches brake fluid, be absolutely certain you don't get a hint of petroleum product in the brake fluid. Doing that may result in more repair expense than what the truck is worth. That includes engine oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, and axle grease. Most of us even wash our hands so we don't get fingerprint grease in there.

Wednesday, September 24th, 2014 AT 7:32 PM
HENRYR79

Thanks for the reply. I thought that was correct, but I wanted to make sure.

Thursday, September 25th, 2014 AT 3:38 AM