Before my dad passed away he gave his 1983 GMC.

  • 1983 GMC S15
Before my dad passed away he gave his 1983 GMC S15 4x4 to my son (he learned to drive with this truck). I don't want to scrap the truck but, we're having trouble finding a part. It seems GM stopped making the clutch pawl gear (ratching gears behind the clutch pedal for the clutch cable). We can find just about any other part for the truck, just not this one. Do you know who might have some or where a person might get them made? Also, we've been asking about converting to a hydraulic clutch. So far we haven't been able to get a straight answer; one person will say it can't be done and another will tell us it can but, they don't know how. Any help to keep the truck on the road would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Thursday, December 13th, 2012 AT 4:22 AM

1 Reply

Do an internet search for "Pull-A-Part", then see if they have a yard near you. They have about two dozen yards between Ohio and southern Georgia. I've been to 12 of them. They are very clean and well-organized. Employees and customers are very friendly and helpful, and parts are inexpensive. You pay your buck, throw your tool box in one of their wheel barrows, and you can spend all day there. They even come around to help haul out big stuff.

There are a lot of similar yards popping up all over the country. None are as inexpensive as Pull-A-Part but some have free admission. You can find which locations have your year and model on their web site, but they can't tell you colors, options, engine sizes, or which parts have already been removed or damaged. They don't buy smashed cars from insurance companies so everything was brought in by owners and will be older. Here and there you'll find a 2002 or 03 model but that's as new as they get.
Was this
Thursday, December 13th, 2012 AT 4:51 AM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Recommended Guides