VSC LIGHT

2003 Toyota Highlander

2003 Toyota Highlander 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 34,500 miles

While driving, the check engine light came on and seconds later the VSC (Vehicle Skid Control) light also came on. AutoZone read the code, PO446, stating evaporation emission control vent. The hose in the back of the air filter housing had not been reattached when the garage changed the oil and checked the air filter. The hose was attached and the code was removed. The check engine light went off and has stayed off, however, the VSC light did not go out. A check again by AutoZone did not display a computer code and states all is okay.

I disconnected the battery ground and a second time pulled the EFI fuse to cut the power to the VSC light and I assume to the computer. When restoring the power, each time the VSC light came back on. The light, of course, goes off when I shut off the engine and while running the engine does not come back on unless I engage the transmission and drive forward or in reverse several feet.

I understand that the VSC light is designed to come on (the VSC system is disengaged) when the Check Engine light comes on for another problem as it did in this case, however, I expected the VSC light to go off when the hose was reattached. It appears too coincidental that a vehicle control problem would arise at the same time that the loose emission hose was detected. How can I turn off the VSC light? Must I go to a garage and have them re-engage the VSC system or should the system have re-engaged automatically when the check engine light went out?

Thank you for your assistance. I look forward to your response.
Mrfunk

You need to have it checked with a scan tool that can read ABS codes.

Stevew84
I have the same exact problem. Reconnected the hose and cleared the engine light. But the VSC light comes on every time the transmission is in gear.
How did you solved the problem!

BTW mine is also a 2003 Highlander (limited awd) with 87k miles.

Thanks in advance.

Kenster888