THE DEALERSHIP SAID I HAVE A BLOWN HEAD GASKET

2007 Nissan Altima • 160,000 miles

My car ran fine one day and the next day it wouldn't start up so I took it to the dealership and they diagnosed the problem as a blown head gasket. They kept telling me that I would have to replace the whole engine at 160000 miles. My question is should I find a mechanic (I'm not going to have to dealership fix it) and have them replace the head gasket or because of the number of miles should I look at different options? Thanks
Jrparker

That would be a real risky repair. With that many miles on it, it will have a lot of wear in the lower end. It also depends on how hot the car got to cause the problem in the first place. If the gasket is bad enough that it won't even run, chances are good that everything is destroyed. You don't want to make an investment like that and then find out that you still have a junk motor. I would look for a used motor for it.

Wrenchtech