BURING OIL

2002 Nissan Altima

Engine problem
2002 Nissan Altima 4 cyl Wheel Drive Type unknown Automatic 131000 miles

My car has been burning oil a lot within the past two to three months. I took it to pep boys and they told me I was leaking oil so, they replaced the valve cover and oil pressure switch. Three weeks later my car was running really rough and my lifters were knocking. Usually when I accelerate from a stop around 30 to 40 miles per hour my lifters are knocking then, I don't hear the noise anymore. I checked my oil and there was no oil in the car. I added two quarts of oil and took my car back to pep boys the next day and they told me I need a valve job. Where the valve seal needs to be replaced. Is this correct? Can there be other problems that would have my car burning a lot of oil so fast? I just had my head gasket replaced 7 to 8 months ago. Can this be apart of the problem?
Tjwright24

Hi there,

Faulty valve seals & valve guides will cause oil burning, but I would be concerned with the oil control & compression rings are doing there job. I would have an air pressure test done first. If you O/haul the top end and repair any faulty valves, guides & seals, there is a good chance that if you have problems in the rings, oil usage will continue and possibly get worse. Don't get trapped into doing the top end and then finding that it has not solved your problem completely.

Mhpautos
So, instead of having them remove the head gasket to replace the seal, you rather me do the air pressure test first to see where the oil is going? I want to eliminate the problem instead of them telling me it could be this or that, and the problem is still there. Someone mentioned to check the piston rings and cylinder. Does this sound about right? Its hard to find a good mechanic in orlando so, can you help me do a " process of elimination?&Quot;

Tjwright24
Hi there,

I will send a you a full run down on what to do and what to check. As I am in Australia, the time difference is a bit of a problem, I am at work just now and have a mountain to get through, Email me and I will reply this evening my time, it is 10-00 Am Thurs 24th here.

Mhpautos
Hello, mhpautos.

I got your last response, but I was unable to e-mail you since I wasn't able to see your e-mail address. What do you recommend I do so that I don't end up changing so many parts before I find out what's causing my car to burn oil so fast. One thing I forgot to mention is the oil is really really black. Does that mean anything? I'm sure it does, but just wanted to mentioned that to you.

Tjwright24