CAR JUST DIED WITHOUT ANY WARNING

2006 Mitsubishi Outlander

2006 Mitsubishi Outlander 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

My wife's outlander just died on her while she was driving without any warning and now it will not start. Please help me with this.

Some things I know:

1.) It is not the timing belt, I checked it and it is not broken.

2.) The fuel pump is working fine and gas is getting to the motor. I made sure by disconnecting the line where it enters the motor and turned it over a few times. (Plenty of gas.)

Please help me with this problem as there are no repair shops within three hours from me that know anything about Mitsubishi.

Thanks,

Chris R.
Reduen

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the donation.

Since fuel is available, then next ting you should check would be the sparks.

At bottom of post there is a " First Things To Check" link. Click it for an idea what to look for. Let me know what you find.

Thank you, I checked for spark right after I made this post and their appears to be no spark coming from the spark plug wires. I checked all for to make sure it was not just one. What next?

Reduen
If sparks are not present, it could be faulty ignition coils, cam or crankshaft sensors.

If you have a scanner, try to retrieve for trouble codes.

I think that I am going to have to get a scanner. Sounds like the thing to do anyway.

The coils are on top of each spark plug individually aren't they? If so, I disconnected the wires from each coil that leads to the spark plugs and there appears to be no spark going into each coil.

Reduen
Yes, the coils sparks individually. No sparks to all coils would eliminate the coils as possible causes. I would suggest checking the cam or crank sensors.

Ok, so I got a pocket scanner and it read 0 codes. Now what?

I guess I will find out where the camshaft sensor is and see if I can get it checked.

Chris R.

Reduen
Here are the location of the sensors.
I have sent the diagnostic files to your email as they are too large to be printed here. Let me know if they arrive safely.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_RemovalCamSensor06OutlanderFig7_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_RemovalCrankSensor06OutlanderFig8_1.jpg

Iseem to be having trouble sending the files. Do you have an alternate email account that I can use?

I think I have it traced back down to the cam sensor but I will not know for sure until I replace it. It is a special order part so I will not have it for a few days.

Reduen
Keep me posted of the outcome.