- POSSIBLE BREAK ISSUES

2001 Ford Focus

After the car warms up, generally after driving for about 10-15 minutes. I get the smell of what I thought was burning oil, however after checking the oil and everything I am not losing any oil. I started thinking about the breaks and looked and I was very low on my brake/transmisson fluid. Can this be the cause of the smell? Is there a specific place a non-mechanical person can check to see if there is a leak somewhere? Thanks.
Matt2123

If it's a burning smell, check around your master cylinder and follow the lines, see if any are leaking onto the exhaust, most of the time, the lines closely follow the frame and are not exposed to hot surfaces, most of the time. What is the brake\transmission fluid deal? If your brake fluid gets too low, the brake light should come on, if your trans is leaking, it very well could end up on the exhaust system, put a clean piece of white or other cardboard under your engine\trans tonight, check it in the morning for leakage, trans will be red, also don't forget, check your power steering unit for fluid loss, that could also be a source, that fluid will be red also.

TaurusWheel