F150 TENSIONER ADJUSTMENT FOR SERPENTINE BELT

1999 Ford F-150

1999 Ford F150 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

Howdy,
Great site! I just put an alternator on and cannot figure out how to loosen the belt tensioner to get the serpentine belt back on! They usually have a spot to insert a 1/2" drive ratchet or breaker bar and I cannot locate it. Please help!
Thanks,
Frank
Hickerbilly

Use a wrench on the hex head on the middle of the tensioner pulley and apply tightening force, slip belt back on and release wrench tension.

Merlin2021
Cool. I'm headed back out to the shop now. I was gonna try that last night but backed off from prior experiences with broken bolts that I have had in my past. It has a lot of tension so I held off on it thinkin' it might break.
Thanks again!
Peace,
Frank
P.S. I'm pretty proud of my shop that has only taken me 50-years to build! I think every hickerbilly should have one in their backyard. Its just for tinkerin' and nothing commercial yet at least and should be completed in the next couple months.

Well. Thanks but. It did exactly what I thought it would do before your advise. I turned the bolt about 10 degrees and it snapped internally! I have been wrenchin' since I was 12 yo and have learned many lessons the hard way. This one kinda bums me out. I figured I was getting expert answers after finding these forums. Now its off to the city 80-miles round trip to buy a new tensioner. I'm fresh out of easy outs![/Quote: 7bcbd081d3]
If you want to share some tips on how to replace the tensioner that would be cool. I'm gonna rest a few and check back. If not. I'll figure it out. Just not in a hurry to crawl underneath it again. That's the only way I could find clearance to get the wrench on. I see the center of the tensioner (not the center of the pulley) does not have a bolt head to simply unbolt it to remove. I am used to old school engines. Last time I worked in a shop was 1991 so I'm pretty slow at some of this new stuff but always eventually get the job done.

Hickerbilly
Never broke one of these myself Frank...you must have a gentle touch! On the other end of the tensioner, there is one bolt though it into the block, unscrew it, pull tensioner off, install new teisioner with new bolt that comes with it, be sure tang goes ni the hole and tighten! BTW your pulley bearing may have weakened the bolt if it was on the way out anyway, Thanks for the minus point...Sorry Frank 6 cylinder is counter clockwise, I thought you had an eight...which is clockwise, but if a tensioner which is spring loaded does not move in one direction, try the other, dont snap it off...

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_tensioner_1.jpg

Belt —4.2L Removal 1. Rotate the tensioner counterclockwise and remove the drive belt.
SECTION 303-05: Accessory Drive 1999 F-150/250 Workshop Manual REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION Procedure revision date: 02/03/1999Installation 1. To install, reverse the removal procedure. Refer to component locations for drive belt routing.

Merlin2021