CHEVY TRANSMISSION WILL NOT SHIFT INTO 2ND O

1988 Chevrolet Silverado

1988 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 300000 miles

I can drive truck if I run up to 25 mi an hr& let off gas truck will shift into 3rd from 1st gear.
Allis

What type of transmission do you have? If you manually put it into 2nd gear, does it move? Check the transmission fluid level.

Pear69
I have a 700r chevy trans. It willnot shift into3rdif I start out in 2nd. Fluid is ok. I just had this trans rebuilt 4yr ago & it has oround 60 k on it. Yes It moves if U put in2.

Allis
Try changing the fluid and filter. Check the kick down cable for proper adjustment and and smooth operation. If these don't work then
this sounds like a sticking 1-2 shifting valve inside the valve body of the transmission or a 1-2 accumulator piston stuck. The valve body is repairable and removable without removing the transmission--and removing the transmission is the hardest part of repairing a 700r4. Unfortunatly, if the acc. Piston is stuck the transmission has to be removed and taken apart.
If you decide to change the transmission valve body, make sure you replace it with the exact year make and model because the valve bodys differ in these transmissions
If you decide to replace the transmission I suggest to get a factory rebuilt transmission. They are not that much more, they have all the upgrades in them and they have a factory warranty. And if you go this route the transmission you get, most likely be a 4L60E which is an upgrade and replaced the 700R4. Keep me informed

Pear69