CHEVY HUMMING NOISE

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

Noises problem
2006 Chevy Cobalt 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 27000 miles

I bought this car new. At about 20K miles the humming noise began. It sounded like from the tires. I was told about 20,000 miles is the limit. The car came with Perelli al weather tires 205/50R17. At 27,000 miles, I changed the tires to Yokohama 205/50ZR17 93W AVS ES100. The car handles easier, but the road noise humming is still just as loud as before. Any ideas?

thank you.
Clure

When your driving it and the noise is apperant, try doing what they do in nascar to warm up there tires, moving back and forth, ( do it safely) does the pitch change or stay steady

if the pitch changes, its a bad bearing somewhere, if not its probally the tires

Buzzsaw

if the pitch changes, its a bad bearing somewhere, if not its probally the tires[/quote: 8152de7b79]

Thank you for the response. I tried the moving back and forth and thought there was a difference in the pitch but it was difficult to do a true testing. I had this checked out at a GM dealership and found in fact it was a bad wheel bearing. In retrospect, the wheel bearing went out at about 20,000 miles.

My experience with a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt has been unfavorable. I have replaced the sunroof as the motor went out at 10,000 miles and I only used it about 12 times. The gear shift has been replaced 2 times (within 2 years). Park Chevrolet (Huntersville, NC) refused to replace it the 2nd time claiming I had spilled a drink on the shifter and that was why it was shifting badly (again). This was NOT true and was pointed out by another GM dealer and they DID replace it and lastly the wheel bearing went out. All this withing 20,000 miles on this vehicle. If there is such a thing as a " Lemon Law", I think this one fits my vehicle.

Thank you for your diagnosis, it was correct!

Clure

if the pitch changes, its a bad bearing somewhere, if not its probally the tires[/quote: b8b68aa64f]

Thank you for your diagnosis, it was correct![/Quote: b8b68aa64f]

for a lemon law it has to be the same problem 4 times in for the same repair or they cant fix it ( same prob )

Buzzsaw