JEEP CJ7 DISTRIBUTOR PROBLEM

1979 Jeep CJ7 • 100,000 miles

I have a 79 cj7 that started and ran prior to my problem. Now it wont start.I get spark out of the coil, but seams intermittent or no spark from the distributor. What took place, I replaced the head gasket and put in a new cam, lifters and timing kit. I put it back together and now no spark. There is a new cap and rotor, wires and plugs, even changed out the pick up coil inside the distributor.I have gotten spark a few times while trying to time it, while other times no spark. Always have spark to the coil but not past. Any ideas? What am I missing?
Jaybot

*correction.
I have spark from the coil to the distributor but not past the distributor

Jaybot
Just a start but is the distributor turning when cranking?

Yes, it does turn.I just tested that again

Jaybot
Ok, and nothing to the plugs? Is the rotor ok? No hole in the center where it could be grounding?

Rotor and cap look good. New. Just tried to fire again, nut the spark comes and goes. Im testing with an inline tester. Was sparking now its not

Jaybot
What is the voltage to the positive side of the coil?

10.5 volts is what I believe I tested. I just had spark out of the distributor again for a few cranks, then gone. I don't get it.

Jaybot
IF YOUR DISTRIBUTOR WAS NOT INSTALLED CORRECTLY

WE CAN GET INTO THAT LATER---I HAVE LOTS OF PICS---AND CAN GIVE YOU SOME GOOD OLE RURAL ROUTE EXPLAINING

WE'LL EVEN GO INTO MAKING SURE YOUR FIRING ORDER IS CORRECT AS WELL AS CHECKING YOUR DISTRIBUTOR PICK UP

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF NON-STOCK MODIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN DONE TO THE IGNITION SYSTEM?

. AND THE WHOLE JEEP?

IS YOUR COIL NEW?---WHERE'D IT COME FROM?--PART NUMBER?DOES IT SAY "FOR EXTERNAL RESISTOR" ON IT?

NEED TO KNOW. WHAT ENGINE YOU HAVE?

PICS ARE NICE TO SEE WHAT WE ARE WORKING ON!

I'LL HANG WITH YOU TILL YOUR JEEP IS LIKE NEW AGAIN!

KEEP RESPONDING HERE

I WANT YOU TO TEST THE DISTRIBUTOR WITH CONTINUITY

GRAB THE WIRES ON EITHER SIDE OF THE CONNECTOR---PULL (NOT JERK)---THE CONNECTOR SHOULD COME APART (DIGGING AT IT WITH A SCREWDRIVER USUALLY WON'T DO IT)

I HAVE MUCH MORE!----OTHER TESTS!

DO NOT BUY NOTHING TILL WE TALK SOME JUNK.I MAY CAN HELP YOU WITH LOWER COSTS

I'LL BE BACK ON THIS EVENING AFTER 20: 30 HRS EASTERN TIME (MUST WORK SO I CAN EAT)

YOUR TURN

Ok re tested. Key on connector removed from the top of the coil, I get 12.2 volts. Connected to the coil 6.5 volts. During starting its only getting 9.5 volts. Is that normal

Jaybot
Hi. I jave read a few of your other responses in this forum and you know your stuff. I apreciate your time. I believe the distributor was instaled correctly. I even thought it was 180 out and pulled it and spun it 180. Still no spark past the distributor. Each and every time the coil fires.I checked the firing order, its on point. I got the jeep from my father who bought it about ten years ago. No mods were done by him but he did buy it as a salvaged title. It was belived that it had a blown exaust gasket but turned out to be the head gasket blew out the side. So I had the head done. When putting it back together noticed a very loose rocker arm. Tore it back apart come to find out had a bad cam and lifter. Replaced those along with a timing set and now will not fire. It ran before we took it apart minus the leak from the head gasket. Prior to doing the head and cam and timing I replaced the cap, rotor, wirws and plugs. The coil is not new. But the pick up coil in the distributor is new. It has the 258 motor with the ford ignition system. Like I said before. It started fine prior to the repairs. This morning when I went to test I was getting spark to my plugs for a few cranks. Then tried again and nothing. But the coil still fired.

Jaybot
Page 1 of 3