JEEP CJ7 DISTRIBUTOR PROBLEM

1985 Jeep CJ7

The distributor was replaced but not fireing, replaced ignition mod, new coil, bur no fire, I dont know where ro position the rotor button to set the timing?Could you tell me how to set the timing on a 85 cj 2.5

LET'S START OUT WITH.

. WHAT THE HECK DO WE HAVE!

ENGINE. TRANNY. CARB?

HAVE YOU PULLED THE DISTRIBUTOR COMPLETELY OUT. DON'T!

HOW WAS IT RUNNING YESTERDAY?

GIVE ME MORE INFO ON WHAT YOU HAVE DONE. OR WHAT YOUR EVIL BUDDIES MAY HAVE DONE!

ANY MODIFICATIONS SINCE IT LEFT THE FACTORY?

ARE YOU ABLE TO SEND PICS (ESPECIALLY LEFT, RIGHT, TOP VIEWS OF YOUR ENGINE.W/ OUTSIDE LIGHT. HOOD LAID BACK ON THE WINDSHIELD FRAME). THIS WOULD BE MOST HELPFUL FOR ME TO SEE 'ZACKLY WHAT'S UNDER THERE!

TELL ME MORE ABOUT HOW YOU USE IT, MODS, HISTORY. FEEL FREE TO WRITE A WHOLE BUNCH (THIS IS SORTA YOUR 2ND IMPRESSION) I REALLY NEED TO "SEE" WHAT YOU ARE STICKING IN MY GARAGE, AS THERE ARE SO MANY FACTORS THAT I NEED TO CONSIDER WHEN I WRITE "NOVELS" BACK TO YOU ON WHAT TO CHECK AND WHAT TO DO!

TELL ME WHAT KINDA "TUNING UP" YOU HAVE DONE. PARTS. WHEN?

DO YOU HAVE A DWELL/ TACH METER AND A TIMING LIGHT.A VACUUM GAUGE WOULD BE A NICE TOUCH!

WHAT ABOUT MANUAL? WHICH ONES. DECENT TOOL SET?

I'M ALL EARS, YOU ARE THE 2ND CJ 7 TO SHOW UP IN 2 MONTHS. CJs ARE THE WHOLE REASON I'M DOING THIS. GLAD YOU CAME TO SEE ME!

YOUR TURN

OK I SEE THE 2.5!

STILL YOUR TURN!

I TRIED TO JUMP ON THIS TOO QUICK

OK---THE DISTRIBUTOR WAS PULLED OUT WITHOUT MAKING ANY REFERENCES TO THE POSITIONS OF ANY THING?

LETS SEE IF WE HAVE POWER TO THE COIL---SEE MY PIC---THIS IS WITH THE KEY ON

WE WILL GET TO INSTALLING THE DISTRIBUTOR SOON ENOUGH.I AM ASSUMING IT IS NEW OR A REMAN AND LIKE THE FACTORY ONE. WILL ALSO ASSUME THIS "NEW ONE" IS GOOD

DO YOU THINK THE DISTRIBUTOR WAS THE PROBLEM---OR ARE YOU SLINGING IN PARTS WITHOUT METHODICAL TESTING?

I'M NOT "JUMPING ON YOU".I JUST NEED TO KNOW "STUFF" SO I CAN HELP YOU ISOLATE THE "ORIGINAL PROBLEM" W/OUT TOO MANY EXTRA FACTORS BEING THROWN IN TO THE MIX