Will not start

CUTTERE
  • 1997 CHEVROLET TAHOE

Truck will not start. It has spark turns over backfires through throttle body. Changed plugs sounds like out of time. Not familiar with this year distributor. Loosened distributor to see if it was only a tooth out. Does this have a module in distributor like the old electronic ignition? Chevrolet's used to have if so could this making a backfire through the carburetor like it is at a time.

Saturday, February 18th, 2017 AT 8:59 PM

2CARPROS KEN

Hey CUTTERE,

Is sounds like the engine may have jumped time, the easiest way to check that is to do a compression test.

Here is a guide to help you see if that is the problem.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-engine-compression

Please run this test and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Best, Ken

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Monday, February 20th, 2017 AT 1:36 PM
BSXOP
  • 1997 CHEVROLET TAHOE
  • MERGED

1997 Chevy Tahoe V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 230000 miles

I have a 1997 chevy tahoe with 230,000 miles. It has set for a year while I was deployed, it started fine when I left now it will not start without priming with starting fluid. I did a full tune up before leaving, to include plugs, wires, cap, rotor, k&n air filter, fuel filter, new EGR, all four o2 sensors, and the fuel pump was also replaced last year. The fuel pump sounds as if it is priming for the 2 sec, sometimes it does not. Once it is started sometimes it runs fine, and will restart with in the hour, after an hour or 2 it has to be primed again. Sometimes once it is running it stumbles and dies while accelerating. It is not showing any codes at this time. I have noticed moister from the exhaust, more than normal to me. I am afraid it might be the fuel pump again, or possibly intake gaskets. Is there any way to test either, before I end up changing both?

Monday, February 20th, 2017 AT 6:17 PM
  • MERGED

Hi:
Yes, you can check the fuel pump with a pressure gauge. Many of the nationally recognized parts stores rent the tool. You may want to double check, but I believe your pressure should be in the area of 45 PSI. As far as the intake gasket, there are a couple things you could do. Check intake vacuum with a gauge is one way. The same thing with the tool if you don't have one. If there is a major intake leak, if you remove the oil fill cap with the engine running, it will kill the engine. You could listen for a hissing too. And one way, that I don't like to recommend because it can cause a fire, is to take starting fluid (while the engine is running) and spray it around the gasket. If there is a leak, the RPM's will increase. All kidding aside, make sure to have a fire extinguisher near. If the starting fluid hits an exhaust manifold or other very hot item, it could catch fire.

Let me know what you find.

Monday, February 20th, 2017 AT 6:17 PM
JOHNNY1220
  • 1997 CHEVROLET TAHOE
  • MERGED

Engine problem
1997 Chevy Tahoe 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

I just got a new battery. My car makes a noise like it want to start but will not turn over. Any suggetions.

Monday, February 20th, 2017 AT 6:17 PM
ROWTIEAR
  • MERGED

Check to ensure all connections from the battery to the starter are good.
Make sure your ground wire to the block is ok.
Check the large wire at the starter for power.
Check the small wire at the starter for power while having someone crank the engine.
If all these things are good, change the starter.

Monday, February 20th, 2017 AT 6:17 PM
MNIEF
  • 1997 CHEVROLET TAHOE
  • MERGED

1997 Chevy Tahoe V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

When I turn the key I just hear a click. The battery seems to be fine. Lights don't dim and when I turn the stereo up it holds the volume unlike when you have a bad battery.

How do I check to see if it is the starter or even the solenoid as I suspect. It is over eleven years old so it wouldn't suprise me if these items went bad.

Monday, February 20th, 2017 AT 6:17 PM
SERVICE WRITER
  • MERGED

http://www.2carpros.com/first_things/car_will_not_crank.htm

IT sounds like the starter.

Another test besides the one in the link is to tap on the starter with a hammer and have someone holding the key in the crank position. There should be power to the starter when cranking.

Monday, February 20th, 2017 AT 6:17 PM
LSTANDARD
  • 1997 CHEVROLET TAHOE
  • MERGED

1997 Chevy Tahoe V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 181, 00 miles

I am the second owner of this Tahoe. It has been very well maintained and has been relatively trouble free. Recently it refuses to start when the weather is wet for a day or so. I have had it checked by a certified mechanic and no codes were found. The distributor cap, rotor, ignition coil, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator have all been checked and they are good. Once the weather clears for a day or so, the vehicle will start again and run properly. Any ideas? Thank you.

Monday, February 20th, 2017 AT 6:17 PM
BMRFIXIT
  • MERGED

Checked and was not replaced !
Next time the weather is good
fill a spray bottle with soap and water
and spray the coil and than cap

suspect it need a tune up and a coil
good luck

Monday, February 20th, 2017 AT 6:17 PM
LSTANDARD
  • MERGED

Checked and was not replaced !
Next time the weather is good
fill a spray bottle with soap and water
and spray the coil and than cap

suspect it need a tune up and a coil
good luck

Thank you so much for the quick response. A new coil was installed with no improvement and the cap and entire underhood has been wet down without being able to duplicate the problem. The vehicle has had a complete tune-up and professional injector cleaning in the past 15k miles. I am stumped.

Monday, February 20th, 2017 AT 6:17 PM