Will not start

CUTTERE
  • 1997 CHEVROLET TAHOE

Truck will not start. It has spark turns over backfires through throttle body. Changed plugs sounds like out of time. Not familiar with this year distributor. Loosened distributor to see if it was only a tooth out. Does this have a module in distributor like the old electronic ignition? Chevrolet's used to have if so could this making a backfire through the carburetor like it is at a time.

Saturday, February 18th, 2017 AT 8:59 PM

2CARPROS KEN

Hey CUTTERE,

Is sounds like the engine may have jumped time, the easiest way to check that is to do a compression test.

Here is a guide to help you see if that is the problem.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-engine-compression

Please run this test and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Best, Ken

Monday, February 20th, 2017 AT 1:36 PM
BSXOP
  • 1997 CHEVROLET TAHOE

1997 Chevy Tahoe V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 230000 miles

I have a 1997 chevy tahoe with 230,000 miles. It has set for a year while I was deployed, it started fine when I left now it will not start without priming with starting fluid. I did a full tune up before leaving, to include plugs, wires, cap, rotor, k&n air filter, fuel filter, new EGR, all four o2 sensors, and the fuel pump was also replaced last year. The fuel pump sounds as if it is priming for the 2 sec, sometimes it does not. Once it is started sometimes it runs fine, and will restart with in the hour, after an hour or 2 it has to be primed again. Sometimes once it is running it stumbles and dies while accelerating. It is not showing any codes at this time. I have noticed moister from the exhaust, more than normal to me. I am afraid it might be the fuel pump again, or possibly intake gaskets. Is there any way to test either, before I end up changing both?

Monday, February 20th, 2017 AT 6:17 PM (Merged)

Hi:
Yes, you can check the fuel pump with a pressure gauge. Many of the nationally recognized parts stores rent the tool. You may want to double check, but I believe your pressure should be in the area of 45 PSI. As far as the intake gasket, there are a couple things you could do. Check intake vacuum with a gauge is one way. The same thing with the tool if you don't have one. If there is a major intake leak, if you remove the oil fill cap with the engine running, it will kill the engine. You could listen for a hissing too. And one way, that I don't like to recommend because it can cause a fire, is to take starting fluid (while the engine is running) and spray it around the gasket. If there is a leak, the RPM's will increase. All kidding aside, make sure to have a fire extinguisher near. If the starting fluid hits an exhaust manifold or other very hot item, it could catch fire.

Let me know what you find.

JOHNNY1220
  • 1997 CHEVROLET TAHOE

Engine problem
1997 Chevy Tahoe 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

I just got a new battery. My car makes a noise like it want to start but will not turn over. Any suggetions.

ROWTIEAR

Check to ensure all connections from the battery to the starter are good.
Make sure your ground wire to the block is ok.
Check the large wire at the starter for power.
Check the small wire at the starter for power while having someone crank the engine.
If all these things are good, change the starter.

MNIEF
  • 1997 CHEVROLET TAHOE

1997 Chevy Tahoe V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

When I turn the key I just hear a click. The battery seems to be fine. Lights don't dim and when I turn the stereo up it holds the volume unlike when you have a bad battery.

How do I check to see if it is the starter or even the solenoid as I suspect. It is over eleven years old so it wouldn't suprise me if these items went bad.

SERVICE WRITER

http://www.2carpros.com/first_things/car_will_not_crank.htm

IT sounds like the starter.

Another test besides the one in the link is to tap on the starter with a hammer and have someone holding the key in the crank position. There should be power to the starter when cranking.

LSTANDARD
  • 1997 CHEVROLET TAHOE

1997 Chevy Tahoe V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 181, 00 miles

I am the second owner of this Tahoe. It has been very well maintained and has been relatively trouble free. Recently it refuses to start when the weather is wet for a day or so. I have had it checked by a certified mechanic and no codes were found. The distributor cap, rotor, ignition coil, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator have all been checked and they are good. Once the weather clears for a day or so, the vehicle will start again and run properly. Any ideas? Thank you.

-1
BMRFIXIT

Checked and was not replaced !
Next time the weather is good
fill a spray bottle with soap and water
and spray the coil and than cap

suspect it need a tune up and a coil
good luck

LSTANDARD

Checked and was not replaced !
Next time the weather is good
fill a spray bottle with soap and water
and spray the coil and than cap

suspect it need a tune up and a coil
good luck

Thank you so much for the quick response. A new coil was installed with no improvement and the cap and entire underhood has been wet down without being able to duplicate the problem. The vehicle has had a complete tune-up and professional injector cleaning in the past 15k miles. I am stumped.

-1
FRED NICHOLS

I have a 1997 Tahoe, that had the same problem. I suspected the fuel pump but it had 62 lbs pressure. The distributors are plastic and noticed on mine that something was rubbing on the camshaft sensor located in the distributor. I then purchased a new distributor at auto zone for 162.00. My tahoe has started perfect since then wet or dry weather.

FRED NICHOLS

I was discouraged because hundreds of Tahoe and suburban owners were having this same problem, but no one had an answer why. I decided to change the camshaft sensor and snapped one of the mounting screws off, so I had no choice but to buy a new distributor. That is when I noticed the distributor case was plastic, and apparently worn because the top of the camshaft sensor showed signs of something rubbing on it, now cold rain or shine, my Tahoe fires right up and seems like it runs better. Hope this helps the Chevrolet owners having the same problem.

BLUE5055
  • 1997 CHEVROLET TAHOE

1997 Chevy Tahoe V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 157440 miles

I have a 97 chevy tahoe that cut off while driving & will not start again. The only warning I received prior to it cutting off was a weak start. When I attempt to start it it cranks but doesnt turn over & start. The battery is only 7 months old, brand new alternator, starter is fine. It gives a spark and all the fuses are fine. Checked fuel pump relay its fine and checked fuel filter it was clean.
When I turn the key to the "on" position I can hear the fuel flowing from the tank & when I depress the small stem inside the fuel pressure Schrader valve the fuel squirts up. Checked the distributor cap it was mostly clean & had no cracks. All wires seem to be in good shape.

Also on a side note my fuel gague is not working properly. It gives a false reading of "E" even when there's gas in the tank & it fluctuates when I accelerate and brake. This problem is secondary to me I want to get it running first then handle this problem unless their connected.

BIG_JAY

I need to know a few things. What the fuel pressure is. I understand it has fuel at the rail but if not over 30 it will not run. U also need to get a spark checker and put it on a spark plug wire while your cranking it over and make sure it is sparking at the spark plug. Try to spray some starting fluid in the intake to se if it has a fuel problem if u dont have a fuel pressure tester.

BLUE5055

I forgot to mention b4 that I tried spraying starter fluid in the intake & the engine either almost turns or it does turn but very quickly turns off. There is sparking from the wire to the plug. Not sure what the fuel pressure is but when I depress the valve the fuel shoots up pretty high. I leave it depress until the fuel stops coming out then I reset the switch back to "on" to see it the fuel refills in the rail & it does. In the mean time I will try to find a fuel pressure tester & if the pressure isnt high enough what is the next step?

BIG_JAY

Then you would need to replace the fuel filter and/or the fuel pump. The filter is a good place to start and you will need to do it if u replace the pump anyways. If it is starting for a few seconds with starter fliud we are looking in the right place.

BLUE5055

I was afraid it would be the fuel pump even tho I prayed it wasnt lol. I just wanted to make sure I checked all angles b4 I started the pain-in-the-neck task of dropping the tank to change the pump. The filter is good & clean already checked it. I really appreciate the help & advice. By the way is it the bad pump thats giving me false readings on my fuel gauge or something else?

BIG_JAY

Gm's are hard to tell. Sometimes it is the sending unit in the tank but sometimes it is the guage in the dash. A new pump will most lilkley come with a new sending unit. If not I will show u how to check the guage why you have the pump/tank out of the truck.

Monday, February 20th, 2017 AT 6:18 PM (Merged)
BLUE5055

Alright thanks it will be a few day b4 I change the pump gonna order it online but I'll let u know how it goes & if I have any more questions.

WHEELER8201
  • 1997 CHEVROLET TAHOE

1997 Chevy Tahoe V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

97' Tahoe Turns over but won't start unless you Repeatadly cycle the key on and off till it starts. It has fuel pressure at test point and I have already replaced the Fuel Pressure Reg.