WHEN I GO TO START IT ANYTHING ELECTRICAL DIES

1990 Ford Ranger

rovert101

July, 25, 2014 AT 9:48 AM

I replaced the solenoid but that didn't help. Fir the past few days I have had to arch the solenoid to get it to start. All the fuses are in tact. To get the power back on to the truck I have to pull both the positive and negative of fir a few seconds. The battery light is on. Please help

hmac300

July, 25, 2014 AT 11:50 AM

Check battery for condition including load test auto parts does for free. They can check to see if battery is charging at same time

rovert101

July, 25, 2014 AT 11:57 AM

I got the battery charged at auto zone yesterday abd I have a multimeter abd it says I have charge. I just played with the battery connection and it started but it seems like it starts randomly. I can't tie it in with any problem. It's just most of the time it doesn't want to make that connection. If I stomp the clutch abd turn the key I have a slim success rate but that's my only success now.

hmac300

July, 25, 2014 AT 12:14 PM

Then check for dirty terminal ends and maybe the starter relay may be going bad. Where did you play with the cable ends by the relay if so then it's that oor the fusible links are going bad they are connected to relay and power up ignition switch for starting. See pic and its 'fuse 10 in power dist box

rovert101

July, 25, 2014 AT 12:27 PM

I played with the negative mostly and all the wires attached. I did bang in the positive. I did take the terminals apart and clean the corrosion. After I did all that it started 2 times in a row and now the lights don't cut out. But after the two successes I tried and I couldn't get the same results. Does everything look wired correctly?

hmac300

July, 25, 2014 AT 12:34 PM

It looks ok but where does the small black wire I'm pointing to in pic go. As long as it doesn't go to the block or body then its' ok

Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000