2007 Volvo XC90 front disc pad removal question

MOGULKILLR
  • 2007 VOLVO XC90
  • AWD
I have worked on many cars over the years and replaced brakes on many varieties of cars, except for a Volvo.

Normally there are 2 main bolts, which when loosened, allow the caliper to be moved and the pads to be taken out.

When I loosened the 2 obvious bolts to access the pads, nothing became loose (I removed the retaining clip). I did notice 2 other bolts on the backside of the caliper and wanted to know if these also must be loosened to access the disc pads ( I didnt want to just unknowingly loosen them for fear of actually partially disassembling the caliper itself).

Also, if there is anything else I should know prior to replacing the pads, I would apprecaite your input.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Robert Herrington
Monday, October 27th, 2008 AT 11:38 AM

MOGULKILLR
Finally I just called the dealer and asked a mechanic who was nice enough to tell me all 4 bolts needed to be removed. Then the caliper easily came off.

Side note:- this car eats front brake pads and tires in the shortest time frame of any auto I have owned over the last 25 years. We will not be purchasing another one due to this expensive and annoying inconvenience.
Friday, January 16th, 2009 AT 12:34 PM