POSSIBLE IDLE PROBLEMS

2002 Volvo S80

Tkilford

February, 21, 2009 AT 11:21 AM

2002 Volvo S80 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 80,000 miles

I have a check engine light. I put a computer on it and the code was P0507. The definition was the Idle Air Control circuit or idle speed higher/lower then expected. Explanation was that the ECM has detected that the IAC counts are higher or lower then expected. The engine speed is not it's expected range. The four probable causes were vacuum leak, dirty throttle body, IAC motor defective, or poor electrical connection to the IAC valve. Is there anything you can tell me about this. How much does it generally cost to fix? Is this a common problem for this year and make vehicle? Etc. Etc. Thank you.

Docfixit

February, 21, 2009 AT 12:13 PM

Don't know if it is common to your car but all cars that have that code first to do is clean throttle body and plate. Remove IAC clean. Erase code and drive. If no light your good.

JIS001

March, 29, 2009 AT 4:24 PM

Take your vehicle to your local
VOLVO dealership for proper diagnosing. Your Electronic Throttle Module has a 10 year 200k mile warranty on it and if it turns out to be the problem they will replace at no charge. Do not clear the codes so that they can scan it. Costof ETM if you were to buy it is about $1000 bucks plus labor and software to reload so dont tamper with it or you could void out the extended warranty.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Clean Idle Air Control Ford Super Duty 5.4L
Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro