ENGINE WON'T CONTIUE TO RUN

1986 Volvo 240

keith steensen

March, 3, 2010 AT 5:45 PM

1986 Volvo 240 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive 150000 miles

engine will start and idle briefly (3 or4 seconds) and then die. Ihave checked the in tank fuel pump and replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, and the pressure regulator. It seems to have good spark also. The car hit something in the right front, but there is not much damage, just cosmetic.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

Jack42

March, 5, 2010 AT 5:06 PM

What is it losing when it dies? Have you watched the fuel pressure with a manual gauge to see what it is doing?

keith steensen

March, 5, 2010 AT 5:57 PM

I checked power to the fuel pump when it was running and dyeing and I held the key in the start position when it died and it would not continue to run. I don't have the fittings to hook up a pressure gauge in line to test pressure while car is running.

Jack42

March, 6, 2010 AT 8:16 AM

If it is holding spark, you are going to have to verify fuel pressure somehow, just checking for power to the pump wont do it, it can have power and still not work

keith steensen

March, 7, 2010 AT 1:52 PM

Have checked fuel pressure at log and it holds 35 or 40 lbs. While running and 40 to 45 lbs. Whil cranking. I can't find specs in my manual. Has power at coil, has spark, actualy runs good for 3or 4 seconds, then dies. If you pump the throttle very rapidly you can make it rev up a little and run a little longer.

Jack42

March, 13, 2010 AT 7:39 AM

Next step is to use a " noid" light and see if it is losing injector pulse. This could be a Mass Airflow Meter, or possibly a cam or crank sensor issue if it is holding fuel pressure. Be sure there are no vacuum leaks in thesystem between the MAF (airbox) and the engine