CABRIO FUEL SYSTEM

1988 Volkswagen Cabriolet

123mct

March, 30, 2009 AT 9:47 PM

1988 Volkswagen Cabrio 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 125000 miles

I am buying a GAS powered VW Cabrio from a dealership; they took the vehicle on a trade in. The dealership said the vehicle was fine when they made the trade, they were taking it out for a test drive with a perspective buyer and it broke down. They said they pulled the fuel filter off and he claims that tons of stuff was plugged in the filter. They also said the tank was probably full of the same. I read one form where the person answering questions said "not to run the tanks dry"; I am wondering if the fuel tank will have to be removed or even worst, the fuel system replaced. What is the chance, the dirt got to the injectors? If you can offer me some advice that would be great because, I am contemplating on buying the vehicle.

March, 30, 2009 AT 9:58 PM

Check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel pump/ crap on the fuel filter-could also mean in the injectors and the intank pick sock-they have to drop the tank to investigate. For me I'll walk away.

123mct

March, 30, 2009 AT 10:12 PM

My thoughts exactly, I just had to make sure. Thanks for the info.

Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Replace Fuel Pump Relay
Fuel Filter Replacement Chevrolet Silverado