Transmission shifting rough after adding random transmission fluid

TIM BEASON
  • 2003 JEEP LIBERTY
I bought the vehicle listed above Sport for my kid's mom. Long story short, I checked fluids one day and noticed the transmission being low. She added some random ATF to top it off. Now it seems to shift pretty rough and is making a noise that I can only think to explain as a component struggling to work/move correctly. With this being said I have two questions I'm hoping to get some advice on.
1. My first instinct is to change the filter and fluid. Am I correct in wanting to do so?
2. How do I distinguish between the 45RFE and 42RLE? I've had no luck with researching online and the manufacture date is 08 of 2002, which I've read is around the time these two transmissions where in the process of being replaced, one way or the other. I apologize for any confusion in my explanation and would greatly appreciate any advice or insight on this issue!
Sunday, June 28th, 2020 AT 10:50 PM

ASEMASTER6371
Good morning,

Yes, I would change the fluid and filter. Start with fresh fluid. The other fluid may be contaminated from adding old fluid.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-service-an-automatic-transmission

As far as the noise, see if it is still there after the service.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/automatic-transmission-problems

I attached a picture for you of the pan configuration. This is what the vehicle calls for.

TRANSMISSION IDENTIFICATION - 45RFE
Transmission identification numbers are stamped on the left side of the case just above the oil pan sealing surface (Fig. 1).

Refer to this information when ordering replacement parts. A label is attached to the transmission case above the stamped numbers.

The label gives additional information, which may also be necessary for identification purposes.
+1
Monday, June 29th, 2020 AT 2:44 AM
TIM BEASON
Thank you, I really appreciate the help and knowledge!
Monday, June 29th, 2020 AT 4:40 PM
ASEMASTER6371
You are welcome.

Always glad to help.

Monday, June 29th, 2020 AT 4:47 PM
TIM BEASON
Could I ask another unrelated question or would I need to go through the whole process of posting it? Should be an easy simple answer.
Monday, June 29th, 2020 AT 5:40 PM
ASEMASTER6371
If it has to do with this vehicle and this issue, yes.

If not, please start a new question from the beginning and we will be happy to help.

+1
Monday, June 29th, 2020 AT 5:42 PM
TIM BEASON
Okay, completely understandable.
Monday, June 29th, 2020 AT 5:44 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Just post your new question and one of us will be happy to help.

Monday, June 29th, 2020 AT 5:45 PM

Sponsored links