1998 Toyota Rav4 Engine cuts out upon accelleration over 20

ANTHONYAUTO
  • 1998 TOYOTA RAV4

1998 Toyota Rav4 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 211000 miles

Okay. So, had an oil leak. Was leaking around the oil pump, so I replaced the seals and o-rings and no oil leak. So, I go to do a test drive, and I can't get this thing out of my garage! It will usually turn over, but when I accellerate or rev it up past 2000 RPM, it dies on me like it's out of gas. There is a full tank. I thought maybe it was the crank sensor, but when I replaced it, it didn't fix the problem. So I thought it was the throttle position sensor. Replaced that, no change. My MT2500 isn't showing any codes. I did look at what the TPS was doing, and it showed at an idle between 12.6 and when I pushed it, no more than 70. That's why I thought it was the TPS. I have not checked the fuel pressure yet. Right n ow, I have it up on two jack stands. I can start it, and then it sputters out like it's running out of gas, or sometimes it will idle for quite a while, but as soon as I gas it, it sputters out and dies. The fuel pump seems to be cycling as I can turn it on and off with my mt2500. Help! This woman needs her car back, and I"m at my wits end here.

Thursday, August 28th, 2008 AT 3:04 PM

ANTHONYAUTO

Okay, so I tried to keep it running with ether, and that didn't work either, so I don't know if it's a fuel system problem, or something else wrong with the engine. Help!

+1
Thursday, August 28th, 2008 AT 3:36 PM

Check the TPS voltage-closed should be 0.3-1.0 volts and WOT at 3.2-4.9volts. Also check the fuel pressure

Thursday, August 28th, 2008 AT 3:45 PM
ANTHONYAUTO

I replaced the TPS already? And would the fuel pressure matter if I crimped it off and was trying to keep it going with just ether? Wouldn't that have made a difference if fuel pressure was the problem, meaning. Wouldn't I have been able to keep it running off the ether if fuel pressure was the problem? What should the map sensor show with the engine off? With the engine off, it's reading 93 VPA?

Thursday, August 28th, 2008 AT 3:57 PM

Check the actual fuel pressure with and without vacuum to the regulator-crimping the return line should double the normal pressure-

MAP sensor voltage should be 4.5-5.5 volts not in specs check wiring-

Turn ignition on an applyvacuum to the MAP see below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_map_4.jpg

+1
Thursday, August 28th, 2008 AT 5:48 PM
ANTHONYAUTO

So I buy this 500 dollar fuel pressure gauge system from Snap On. Break the adapter it says to use within 5 minutes, get a replacement only to find out that the book says to use the wrong adapter. Use the right adapter, and the stupid gauge doesn't show anything, but I have pressure coming to the filter. *Twitchtwitch* If I disconnect the map sensor, I can get it to start and idle, but if I reconnect the map sensor, it shuts off. I don't quite see how I can check the voltage on the map sensor the way it is. Suggestions? It looks like if I disconnect it to check with the OHM meter, it doesn't make sense. Help?

Saturday, August 30th, 2008 AT 12:48 PM

The MAP sensor operates exactly like the vacuum advance unit on the conventional distributor. Check the supply and output voltage to it-

Supply voltage 4.5-5.5 volts

Output voltage varies with vacuuum-check with a vacuum pump. See above chart.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_map_sensor_rav_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_map1_2.jpg

Saturday, August 30th, 2008 AT 3:12 PM
ANTHONYAUTO

Replaced the map sensor. Didn't fix it. :( Could it be the cam sensor?

Sunday, August 31st, 2008 AT 11:46 AM
ANTHONYAUTO

Now, I can keep it running as long as I keep applying gas, but it won't stay running?

Sunday, August 31st, 2008 AT 12:13 PM
KHLOW2008

During replacement of TPS, did you calibrate it?

+1
Sunday, August 31st, 2008 AT 12:29 PM

Recheck the idle air control valve/PCV and EGR valves-

Sunday, August 31st, 2008 AT 12:30 PM
ANTHONYAUTO

What? How do you calibrate a throttle position sensor? Is it not self-calibrating?

-1
Sunday, August 31st, 2008 AT 12:49 PM
ANTHONYAUTO

Okay, the ICV is working and clean. I thought the ECM calibrates the TPS. The EGR has been un. Oh for Crying out loud. The stupid thing is now sending an error code saying it's the front ignition coil.

I swear.I'm going to shoot this stupid car. *Scream* Why the heck is it FINALLY sending up an error code now?

*twitchtwitchscream* Ok. *Breathe* Ignition coil will be here at 7:30 in the morning. Please pray for me guys.

-- Elizabeth --

Sunday, August 31st, 2008 AT 1:26 PM
ANTHONYAUTO

FCOL, it's still doing the same thing. Do you think it might be a wiring issue?

Monday, September 1st, 2008 AT 10:49 AM
ANTHONYAUTO

Okay, so we've checked the fuel pressure and it's at 50PSI, but when the engine is starting to cut out, the pressure fluctuates down and up like something is trying to shut it off. Help?

Monday, September 1st, 2008 AT 12:54 PM
ANTHONYAUTO

Okay, so I was reading through the TSB's, and something came up with regards to the fuel cut-off on downhill? Do you have any idea what that is in regards to? I mean, I've looked online for information regarding the fuel cut-off solenoid, and can't find any iformation. Help?

Monday, September 1st, 2008 AT 2:33 PM
ANTHONYAUTO

It's kind of like the engine brake is shutting off the fuel pump, you know, like when you're going downhill? What would cause it to do that?

Oh, and how many times do I have to donate to keep getting replies?

Monday, September 1st, 2008 AT 6:57 PM
MERLIN2021

Try cleaning both ends of the battery cables, if it has poor connections, there may be voltage drop to the ECM, also unplug the MAF and see if it runs in limp mode, if yes replace MAF.

Tuesday, September 2nd, 2008 AT 5:52 AM
MERLIN2021

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Rav4_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Rav4a_1.jpg

DTC P0115: ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE (ECT) SENSOR CIRCUIT Circuit Description The ECT sensor is a thermistor sensor that monitors engine coolant temperature. DTC is set when ECM detects an open or short in ECT sensor circuit. Possible causes are: Open or short in ECT sensor circuit. ECT sensor. ECM. Diagnosis & Repair 1. Connect scan tool to DLC No. 3 connector. See Fig. 1 . Turn ignition on. Using scan tool, monitor ECT sensor temperature. If temperature displayed is same as actual coolant temperature, check component and ECM connections. Problem is intermittent. 2. If temperature displayed is 284 F (140 C) or more, go to step 5). If temperature displayed is -40 F (-40 C), turn ignition off. Disconnect ECT sensor connector. ECT sensor is located on coolant housing at flywheel end of cylinder head. Connect a jumper wire between ECT sensor wiring harness connector terminals. Turn ignition on. Using scan tool, monitor ECT sensor temperature. 3. If temperature displayed is 284 F (140 C) or more, replace ECT sensor. If temperature displayed is less than 284 F (140 C), turn ignition off. Remove jumper wire. Access ECM behind bottom center of instrument panel, in front of console. Connect a jumper wire between terminals No. 4 (White wire) and No. 9 (Brown wire) at ECM E5 connector. See Fig. 2 . 4. If temperature displayed on scan tool is 284 F (140 C) or more, locate and repair open circuit in wiring harness between ECT sensor and ECM. See appropriate wiring diagram in WIRING DIAGRAMS article. If temperature displayed on scan tool is less than 284 F (140 C), replace ECM. 5. Turn ignition off. Disconnect ECT sensor connector. Turn ignition on. If temperature displayed on scan tool is -40 F (-40 C), replace ECT sensor. If temperature displayed is not -40 F (-40 C), turn ignition off. 6. Access ECM behind bottom center of instrument panel, in front of console. Disconnect ECM E5 connector. See Fig. 2 . Turn ignition on. If temperature displayed is -40 F (-40 C), locate and repair short circuit in wiring harness between ECT sensor and ECM. See appropriate wiring diagram in WIRING DIAGRAMS article. If temperature displayed by scan tool is not -40 F (-40 C), replace ECM. CAUTION: If ECM replacement is instructed in following testing, always ensure ECM connectors and ground circuit are okay. If either are suspect, repair and repeat testing to confirm ECM malfunction. NOTE: If DTCs P0105, P0106, P0110, P0115 and P0120 are output together, sensor ground circuit may be open. Repair as necessary. See appropriate wiring diagram in WIRING DIAGRAMS article. Page 1 of 1 TESTS W/CODES -1998 Toyota RAV4 9/2/2008

Tuesday, September 2nd, 2008 AT 6:05 AM
ANTHONYAUTO

OOOokay, so we took a little break. Came back to this sucker and replaced the ECM because it was complaining about the downhill acceleration cut off or something like that. Guess what. That didn't fix it. So, recap:

We have replaced:
MAP sensor
TPC sensor
Crank Sensor
ECM

We have cleaned the battery terminals
We have tested fuel pressure
We have changed fuel filter (broke while testing pressure so we had to anyway)

Where next guys? Cam sensor ya think?

Wednesday, September 17th, 2008 AT 11:15 PM
MERLIN2021

You said the rav4 runs ok with the mass air flow sensor unplugged, so check the air duct for any splits or cracks, if none found replace the MAF. Also test the ect, and IAT sensors, here's the range chart.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_ECT_7.jpg

The best time to test both is befroe the first start of the day, they should be within 5 degrees of each other on your scan tool, also do the resistance check.

Thursday, September 18th, 2008 AT 3:43 PM