89 TOYOTA PICKUP IDLES FINE, BUT DIES ON ACCELERATION

• Jschreff
  • 1989 TOYOTA PICKUP

I just bought an 89 Toyota 4x4 pickup, 22RE EFI engine, MT, 182,000. The water pump blew on it and it was replaced. However, it ran fine before it blew but now the engine will idle fine until you open the throttle. If you open it up all the way the engine dies. When you do it slowly it will increase but only til about 3/4 of the way open. It's spitting some black smoke from the exhaust and the check engine light is on. The guy I bought it from thinks it's the ECM. But I don't really think it is. Any suggestions on where to start or what the problem is would be greatly appreciated.

Sunday, August 19th, 2007 AT 11:44 PM

• Jack42

Moisture, ie steam could have gotten into the TPS sensor from the water pump blowing.

Monday, August 20th, 2007 AT 1:01 PM
  • Jschreff

I replaced the TPS sensor and the MAF sensor and the same thing happens. It still stalls out after giving it power. I did get the codes off from the diagnostic, they are 22, 24, 31, 41 and 51. I have another ECM but I haven't swapped it in yet.

-1
Thursday, September 6th, 2007 AT 7:23 PM
  • Jack42

22- coolant sensor
24- intake air temp sensor
31-Airflow meter signal
41-TPS sensor
51-Switch signal, a/c switch circuit, a/c switch, a/c amplifier, TPS circuit, TPS, A/T neutral start switch, A/T neutral start switch circuit, ECU

A few of these say the ECU can be the problem, but the wiring circuits should all be checked first. Check all grounds on the engine and look for moisture in any connectors. Might need to sign up for Mitchell-On-Demand (link at bottom of main forum page) to get the wiring diagrams to test the wiring before replacing the ECU

Friday, September 7th, 2007 AT 7:41 AM
  • Jschreff

I checked the connections and the power going to the ECU and everything was fine. I even checked the EFI Main relay, that was good too. So I swapped out the old ECU with another and it started up fine. I opened the throttle and it accelerated without stalling. Problem solved. Thanks a lot for your help! But now I have another, it's idling high and still running a little rich. I did check for vacuum leaks and didnt find any.

Sunday, September 9th, 2007 AT 5:49 PM
  • Jack42

Check engine light still on? Try a o2 or coolant sensor, still might not be happy with one of them, even with the new ecm

Monday, September 10th, 2007 AT 7:23 AM