2002 Toyota Highlander rotor replacement

CARSRTROUBLE
  • 2002 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER
  • AWD
How do I remove the front and rear rotors on a 2002 Toyota Highlander AWD?
Thursday, February 12th, 2009 AT 7:26 AM

MMPRINCE4000
Remove wheel, caliper (hang it out of way with wire, do not let it hang by hose) and caliper bracket bolted to knuckle.
Some rotors are held in place with small clips on wheel stud, if so then remove them (they do not have to be replaced).
Rotor should pull off, but sometimes can be rusted in place, so you may have to use a penetrant and RUBBER hammer to dislodge.

These are the best pics I can find:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/108325_highlander_front_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/108325_highlander_rear_1.jpg

Thursday, February 12th, 2009 AT 7:47 AM
JACK42
I suggest doing this 1 wheel at a time, so you dont accidentally blow out a caliper by compressing the opposite one. Raise and support vehicle. Remove wheels, then unbolt caliper from its mount. Unbolt caliper mounting bracket. Should be 2 Phillips head screws holding therotor on, you will most likely need a "impact driver" you should be able to rent one. Remove screws, remove rotor. Be sure to clean your new rotors with brake cleaner to get the anti-rusting agent of of the braking surface. Reverse for install. You will also need abig pair of Channel-Lock pliers or a c-clamp to compress the caliper in (slowly) so it will fit over the new pads. Lube all caliper slides and clean all surfaces where the pads ride to assure smooth operation. When all done, be sure to slowly pump the brake pedal until hard to reseat the calipers to the pads, otherwise you wont have brakes for the first few pumps when you drive away(scary)
-1
Thursday, February 12th, 2009 AT 7:48 AM