Changing the rear brake shoes

AARONBOY71
  • 1998 TOYOTA COROLLA

Brakes problem 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 284000 miles

How do I change the rear brake shoes and is there a diagram can you help me please?

Saturday, December 27th, 2008 AT 3:32 PM

2CARPROS KEN

Yep doing the rear shoes can be a little tough. Here is a guide and video of a set of rear brake shoes being done. Most cars are the about the same for doing this job.

Here is a guide that shows you what to do

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-rear-brake-shoes-and-drums

Here is a video

https://youtu.be/1j7qDoi1LP0

Here are some diagrams of what it will be like on your car.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/61395_Graphic_77.jpg

More images (BELOW)

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken

Tuesday, October 3rd, 2017 AT 6:09 PM
THANDI
  • 1987 TOYOTA COROLLA

I had a mechanic install new brake shoes on my car and a hand brake cable. When I got the car back on one wheel there was a screeching noise that did not stop though he promised it will. And again a couple of times on my trip I heard a noise like a truck horn coming from that tyre. I've never experienced this before and I'm worried. I've called him a couple of times but. What could the noise and the truck horn be? Please advice

Tuesday, October 3rd, 2017 AT 6:10 PM (Merged)

A spring may have broken inside have him take a look and fix it

DRCRANKNWRENCH

It all depends on the type of brakes you have and how hard you are on them. In stop and go traffic it is even worse. There is a sensor for the front brakes that scrpes the rotor and makes noise when they need replacement. If you have rear drum brakes you will not have this. One way to check on your brakes in the future is to note the master cylinder fluid level when they are worn out. When you replace brakes the pad or shoe thickness will increase the level in the master cylinder. So, in the future you can watch for the fluid level to reach the, "change"level when you get new brakes. Brakes can last as little as 10,000 miles or as long as 40,000 miles. The front brakes will wear out before the rear. The only real way to tel is to remove the wheel and caliper/drum and look at the pads/shoes and see where they are and measure them then check again in 1,000 miles and measure so you can know for sure how long they will las. If you are hard on the brakes, check more often especially in stop and go traffic use.