Engine idle is way too high 1700-2500rp

SINIKA74
  • 1997 TOYOTA COROLLA

Engine Mechanical problem 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 161000 miles

I know toyotas like to idle high until the cats are warm but this isnt normal. Aware of the existing idle situation, I bought this car for $600 and it runs great other than the high idle. The lady who I bought it from had rear ended a truck with a trailor-hitch and the ball on the hitch bent the first radiator."oil cooler?". But it doesnt leak. And left the larger/2nd radiator undamaged. The only other damage was to the grill, both radiator fans were damaged and punctured the ac "evaperator can?" located in between the grill and the radiators on the driver side. Any and all help will be much appreciated. Thanks, Shane

Wednesday, January 13th, 2010 AT 11:24 AM

2CARPROS KEN

Its sounds like you have a piece of carbon stuck in the idle air control valve. Here is a guide to show you how to clean it and get back on the road. This is a common problem with Toyota.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/throttle-actuator-service

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-idles-too-high

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken

Tuesday, May 9th, 2017 AT 1:19 PM
TAGALOG09
  • 1997 TOYOTA COROLLA
  • MERGED

1997 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 80,000 miles

when my engine is idle at 1000 rpm and as soon as I switch on the a/c my engine idles at 900rpm. How can I correct that? Instead of idling up when the a/c is on, the idling goes down

Tuesday, May 9th, 2017 AT 1:21 PM
MMPRINCE4000
  • MERGED

First check the compressor/clutch and bearing, it may be a bad compressor.

Disconnect AC clutch electrical connector, then turn AC on, if idle increases, then most likely it is compressor.

Tuesday, May 9th, 2017 AT 1:21 PM
GMANW2K6
  • 1995 TOYOTA COROLLA
  • MERGED

I have a 1995 toyota corolla and it has a very high idle when starting I have replace the idle valve and the tps sensor I even had my "service engine" light check but it doesnt say anything about it what else am I missing?

Tuesday, May 9th, 2017 AT 1:21 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

It is equipped with a cold start to increase the idling speed when engine is cold. How high is the starting idle speed and after warming up, what is the idling speed?

-2
Tuesday, May 9th, 2017 AT 1:21 PM
GMANW2K6
  • MERGED

Its pretty high even after its warms up but it clams down after im in gear

-2
Tuesday, May 9th, 2017 AT 1:21 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

Either there is a vacuum leak after the throttle body or the IAC is not working correctly. It could be stuck open more than it should and how high is pretty high?

Tuesday, May 9th, 2017 AT 1:21 PM
GMANW2K6
  • MERGED

Really high ive had it measured; it reads ova 2000 hpm but when its in gear it read inbetween 900 to 1000 hpm

Tuesday, May 9th, 2017 AT 1:21 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

You need to have the IAC inspected if there are no vacuum leakages. Did you check the PCV?

Tuesday, May 9th, 2017 AT 1:21 PM
GMANW2K6
  • MERGED

Pcv valve has been replace

Tuesday, May 9th, 2017 AT 1:21 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

Have you checked the IAC?

-1
Tuesday, May 9th, 2017 AT 1:22 PM
GMANW2K6
  • MERGED

No havent had it check

Tuesday, May 9th, 2017 AT 1:22 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

Do so. That is the main component for controlling idling speed.

+1
Tuesday, May 9th, 2017 AT 1:22 PM
ROCK2001WWF
  • 1995 TOYOTA COROLLATOYOTA COROLLA
  • MERGED

My 1993 corolla has a little high RPM, but once the A/C is on the RPM is dropped below normal, that's what my friend say.
My question are the idle up valve and idle air control valve two different parts?
If they are different, which one cause the high RPM.

One more thing, is high RPM cause any problems for my car if I don't fix the problem. Thanks

Tuesday, May 9th, 2017 AT 1:22 PM
  • MERGED

Before you drop the rpm-check your Ignition timing then adjust the IACV to Specs.

Tuesday, May 9th, 2017 AT 1:22 PM
LUCKY-JOSUAL
  • 1992 TOYOTA COROLLA
  • MERGED

I have a problem my car. It a Toyota corolla with a 4E engine. The problem is that, it has developed a high idle speed as if the A/C is on. I tried to clean the throttle body, changed spark plugs, inspected the vacumme lines and a certain mechanic did adjust the sensor on the throttle body but still the problem persists. The other observation is that even if I try to switch the A/C on, there is no noticeable change in the engine speed. What could be causing the high idle speed?

Tuesday, May 9th, 2017 AT 1:22 PM
  • MERGED

Could be a false air leakage, idle air control valve and sticking accelerator linkage or cable-could also be the computer activating the idle up solenoid for the AC when not needed, coolant temperature sensor, throttle position sensor and oxygen sensor -cold start injector is not shutting off - etc

Tuesday, May 9th, 2017 AT 1:22 PM
LUCKY-JOSUAL
  • MERGED

Hello rasmataz, thank you advice. Where can I locate the oxygen sensor and what can cause the mentioned sensors not to shut off. What can cause the computer to activate the idle up solenoid for the AC when not needed?

Tuesday, May 9th, 2017 AT 1:22 PM
ARISLEONARDVENUS
  • 1993 TOYOTA COROLLA
  • MERGED

1993 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 102000 miles

Hi 2carpros team,

I have a 93 corolla with 4afe engine, the idling speed is too high at 1400 rpm with aircon off. But when I turn on the a/c the rpm drops to 1000 rpm.

I tried removing and cleaning the whole throttle body together with the IAC valve, reset the ECU and still I got a high Idling.

I hope you could help me on this as your team usually do.

Thank you and more power!

Tuesday, May 9th, 2017 AT 1:22 PM
MMPRINCE4000
  • MERGED

If IAC is working properly, it could be a timing issue, but more likely you have a vacuum leak in the system.

You will have to check all the vacuum lines, they nay appear OK, but have small cracks, and generally on a car this old they are brittle.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Tuesday, May 9th, 2017 AT 1:22 PM