1994 Toyota Corolla Water Pump

• 3 POSTS

Heater problem
1994 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 297000 miles

In April 2010 I replaced my thermostat. In June of 2010 I replaced my radiator. Shortly after replacing the radiator my water pump began to leak. The car was continously driven after noticing the leak with no issues until the weather started getting colder. Now it takes a while for the heater to get warm. I'm assuming the water pump has a something to do with this and you can correct me if I'm wrong. My question is on an average what would the cost be to get the pump replaced. Reason why I asked is because I am have been deployed to Afghanistan since May 2010 and my wife took the car in to get an estimate on getting the pump replaced. She was told it was gonna be about $300 and that is not including the part. I felt that it was pretty steep being that I replaced the Power steering pump for around $180 to include parts and labor and it sits right next to the water pump. If you could give me an average cost of this part or just even let me know if my wife is being husseled I would greatly appriciate it. Thanks!

Wednesday, October 6th, 2010 AT 1:22 AM

$30 is not so bad.
It is about a 4 hour job. So, if you are paying $80/Hr for service, 4*$80=$320.00.
The parts are about $80.00 for the pump, gasket, waste disposal, (cleaners, remove and replace anti-freeze, etc.), And tax.
You are looking at

$320 Labor
$80 Parts
$20 Misc.
$420 TOTAL

If you are going to keepep the car, that is actually a good time to replace the timing belt.

Wednesday, October 6th, 2010 AT 2:16 AM