SPEED SENSOR?

1990 Toyota Corolla

jbrownpdx

August, 12, 2008 AT 4:50 PM

Computer problem
1990 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Automatic

the speedomer in my 1990 toyota corolla hasn't worked since I bought the car about a month ago. The guy I bought it from said it was something to do with the speed sensor(s). I've done some searching around on the internet and I puchased a chiltons manual that covers '88 to '97, but llittle is said about speedometers or sensors. You would think there would be some kind of troubleshooting section in the book for this problem, but no there isn't. The only thing I have found that talks about speed sensors at all was in the brakes section referring to the front and rear wheel speed sensors for the abs. I'm guessing these are the same sensors that control the speedometer, but all I can do is assume. If I am right what kind of hassle am I looking at to replace them myself or expense to have it done in a shop. If i'm wrong could you please point me in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

August, 12, 2008 AT 5:05 PM

I'm guessing these are the same sensors that control the speedometer-No its not

Sir you are looking for the vehicle speed sensor which is located on back of the speedometer

Good Luck

mmprince4000

August, 13, 2008 AT 5:38 AM

These early model Toyota's with the A131L 3 speed auto, used a cable to drive the speedometer.
Usually the lower cable (that connects to the trans.) Breaks.
The cable unscrews from the trans. And also unscrews from the cable that goes into the IP.
Unscrew the lower cable and you will probably see that it is broke.
Replacement cables can be purchased from Toyota.

It is also possible the cable that attaches to the speedometer became disconnected, but I have seen several of the lower cables break.