1990 Toyota Corolla clutch replace

JOELS
  • 1990 TOYOTA COROLLA

1990 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 200000 miles

Mechanics have stated that a clutch and timing belt need to be replaced. The timing belt broke and we towed the car to a shop. There has been a smell of anti freeze when the car is parked.

Is it worth it to keep this car. The body is fine and the car is driven by a 16 yr boy.

Monday, January 18th, 2010 AT 6:13 PM

MHPAUTOS

Hi there,

The broken timing belt will have caused internal damage to the engine, you will have a number of bent valves, the coolant loss will have to be checked out and with the clutch job as well, this may be getting beyond economical repair, I would get the head removed and get it all quoted, that way you will have something to work with, start here.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Monday, January 18th, 2010 AT 6:24 PM
MMPRINCE4000

Good advice by Mark.

I would have engine checked and if beyond (reasonable) repair, get a used engine.

I have had several 90-92 Corolla's and (in my opinion) they are some of the most reliable cars ever built.

Tuesday, January 19th, 2010 AT 8:16 AM