Car is overheating

NC4176
  • 2003 TOYOTA CAMRY
Engine Cooling problem 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 109000 miles

my car has been slowly leaking coolant for the past 3 days. Then today the temperature gauge went way up and then back down to normal and then up again. When I got home and turned off my car, it was smoking (just a little).
Friday, February 5th, 2010 AT 11:16 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

You will have to go get a cooling system pressure test done to identify where the leak is, this will have to be repaired first.

Mark, mhpautos.
Saturday, February 6th, 2010 AT 9:09 AM
POINTBRZE
My 2003 Camry 4 cyl (120,000 miles) did this exact same thing! I immediately took it to the closest dealer, it was less than a mile (this is not the dealer I use). Come to find out that the coolant leak was behind the engine. They warned me that it was the head gasket and that the block could possibly be warped. Well you guessed it, the block was warped and 2 bolts were stripped while they were trying to remove it! I have never had this much trouble with any of the Toyotas I have owned. I guess since I was a woman they thought I didn't know enough about cars. They were wrong. I'd like to know how a block can get warped in an manner of a few seconds! I was floored! I immediately hired a roll-back to go get my vehicle and it now sits in my neighbor's driveway waiting for a $2700 engine to replace the one that dealer screwed up in my car! I will never use that dealership again. I will leave my car on the side of the road next time! Please be careful!
Sunday, March 14th, 2010 AT 3:09 PM
1TOOTHSMILE
Hello NC4176, Toyota actually had an issue with the 2az four cylinder head bolts pulling out of the block, usually from the back side of the head. The reason you might never see a coolant leak there is because underneath the intake plenum sits a large piece of foam that will act as a sponge absorbing most of the coolant that leaks out. This problem was in the first generation of that engine 2002 thru 2006. When this does occur the head will literally pull away from the block. May result in misfire, I have seen this with coolant and or oil streaming down the side of the block. There is a repair for this but is quiet costly due to the amount of labor involved. It involves tearing the engine down and drilling out the block threads and installing inserts into the block. If this is the case and you want to repair the car it may very well be more cost effective to price and install a used engine. Toyotech for 15 years and have seen this several times.
Friday, March 30th, 2018 AT 10:40 PM
KEN
Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out whenever you are on the site :)

Cheers, Ken
Monday, April 2nd, 2018 AT 11:33 AM