OVERHEATING

1996 Toyota Camry

curtis051

October, 30, 2010 AT 4:21 PM

Engine Cooling problem
1996 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 212, 00 miles

I just flushed my radiator and filled up anitfreeze and the car is overheating. Fans not kicking on and hoses don't feel like there is any antifreeze in them. How can I test the water pump vs the thermostat is bad? Fans should have kicked on by now.

Thanks, Matt

bluelightnin6

October, 30, 2010 AT 8:30 PM

If fans not coming on then that is the problem and neither the water pump or thermostat. Check fuses and cooling fan relay(s)

curtis051

November, 1, 2010 AT 6:42 PM

Thanks for your reply. I had changed the thermostat as the lower radiator hose wasn't hot, thinkiing maybe it was stuck closed. Refilled radiator & same thing once @ operating temperature. No pressure on the return radiator hose & feels empty, coolant not moving in radiator when running. Tells me water pump is not circulating. Fans won't come on as coolant isn't hot since its not getting into the block to cool off & engine overheating.

bluelightnin6

November, 1, 2010 AT 6:46 PM

Only 1 rad. Hose will be hot, other should be cool, that means radiator is doing its job. If you can't feel pressure in either hoses though that does indicate poor circulation, since you already flushed system it must be weak water pump

curtis051

November, 1, 2010 AT 6:53 PM

Thanks bluelightnin6.I kept squeezing both hoses closed no problem and figured has to be no circulation. Thing is timing belt has to be removed to get to the pump. Only 70k on the water pump from the last time timing belt was done and pump also. Aren't they normally supposed to last longer than that?

bluelightnin6

November, 1, 2010 AT 6:55 PM

Normally they do yes but 70k is still a lot of miles so doesn't necessarily mean it's failed prematurely. Water pump will usually weep coolant and start whining when it is failing though

curtis051

November, 1, 2010 AT 7:02 PM

That probably explains why mechanic told me to keep eye on coolant after I had it inspected last. Seems I was losing a little. Rather lose it that way vs head gasket. Guessing its a 4-5 job at most for the shop. Might try to tackle it myself since they are closed until next week. Thanks for your advice bluelightnin6

bluelightnin6

November, 1, 2010 AT 7:26 PM

For the 4 banger motor, it will only take around 4 labor hours to replace water pump at experienced shop, yes.

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser