Car Alarm System

ANDOO
  • 1996 TOYOTA CAMRY

Electrical problem 6 cyl Automatic 195K miles

Help! My Car alarm wont go off unless I disconnect the battery. There is a switch just above the pedals that doesn't do anything (looks like a kill switch). This problem began when the car wouldn't turn over. The alarm quickly sounded for about three muinutes, then it stopped, only to begin again when I opened the car door to get out. Again, the only way I can disable the alarm at this point is to disconnect the battery ( I got a new one, thinking an old battery mght be contributing to the problem). Do I need to pull out a fuse, and if so, which one? My owner's guide/manual has absolutely nothing about an alarm system, or a key to which fuses go with what. Any advice would be really helpful. Thanks!

Ande

Tuesday, May 6th, 2008 AT 8:33 PM

EHLIN

Mine is acting the exact same way. Did you find a fix for it?

Thanks!

+1
Friday, June 27th, 2008 AT 9:38 PM
LINDA72

Mine does the same thing-- the alarm goes off at random times-- VERY annoying.
I discovered that the following sequence will
turn it off:

1. Use the key to open the door
2 start the car
3 turn car off
4 start the car again.

Also, my husband discovered that he could pull the fuse for the horn, and then the alarm connot go off (but then you can't use the horn)

Wednesday, July 2nd, 2008 AT 7:19 AM
MARVINHORTON

I just figured mine out. This is what I did.
1. If the alarm is going off, unhook the battery.
2. Put the key in the switch.
3. Reconnect the battery.
5. Turn the key to the battery on position.
6. The alarm light should go solid. If not, flip it back the other way.
That's it!

Saturday, May 23rd, 2009 AT 7:12 PM
2CARPROS KEN

The reason the alarm goes of is becasue one of the door latch switches is going out. To find out which one lock the car and then try to open each one of the doors by pulling on it a little. The door will move a little when the alarm goes off that is the door that needs a new latch.

To reset the alarm remove the battery cable for 30 minutes and then reconnect. Then unlock the drivers door with the key and it should be reset.

Here is a guide that will help you as well.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-reset-a-security-system

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken

Friday, August 18th, 2017 AT 6:42 PM
EGGTUCKER
  • 1996 TOYOTA CAMRY

Ever since I had the computer rebuilt my alarm goes off at random times. I have however been in the parking lot and when someone close sets or unsets their alarm and it will set my alarm to sound. And they can hit their alarm button again and cut it off. Other times it just seems to sound for no reason

Friday, August 18th, 2017 AT 6:43 PM (Merged)
SATURNTECH9

Is this a aftermarket alarm or factory alarm?

-1
SCSMITH
  • 1996 TOYOTA CAMRY

1996 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 138900 miles

I bought the car from a friend and she had a car alarm installed a couple of years back. Last night I went to get in my car and could not disable the alarm with the switch. I thought maybe the battery had died so I went to go buy a new one and that did not work. Can my mechanic just disable it for me?

ERJOE2004

Hello scsmith, I actually don't have a solution, but I do share the same problem, with the same car even ha! We bought the car used with a keyless entry system, I'm thinking it has a kill switch on it also. Because when I go to start it. It will click. I'll keep turning the key then it will kick right over. But there are days that I'd have to try for almost 30 min at the turn key. I tried following the wires tested the starter but all are good. I'm afraid to take it to the shop, due took the expensive diagnostic fee that they will charge. I think taking it to a Car Audio place will be less expensive for you. Or maybe purchase another system and have them take that exsisting one out for you. Sorry didn't have a difinitive answer for you. Thought it would help to know that someone else is experiencing same problem. Ha!

SCSMITH

Why thank you erjoe2004. Well the mechanic got it to work and at no charge. Of course when he opened the door the alarm started going off. He popped opened the hood and disconnected the left cord connected to my car battery. He then put it back on and the was able to turn off the alarm with my controller. Its been working fine every since then. Maybe you should try that with yours.

ERJOE2004

Yaah! Glad you got your car going. Hmm. I think I may have a different problem then. Ha! Oh well, I'm gonna try the car audio place. And if they can't help I'm gonna burn it! Ha. Nah, I'm gonna have to follow from the ignition wiring to somewhere.

STEINER9546
  • 1992 TOYOTA CAMRY

I just bought a 1992 Toyota Camry. I locked the keys inside & had to use a "slimjim" to unlock the car. This activated the car alarm. How am I able to disengage & reset the factory alarm?

BUBBLES

You have the keys now right? Turn the ignition off and on like 2 cycles, then it sould engauge your starter. Thats how I do it when I pass out in my car and forgot I armed the alarm when I crashed, next day I wake up and step out of the auto the alarm trips and kick out the ignition. Hope that helps. Bubbles

PEPSIADDICT
  • 1994 TOYOTA CAMRY

1994 Toyota Camry

went to start car this morning. Car turned over, didn't start right off, went to crank it again, nothing. Metered battery and had 12 volts. Tried jumping it off no good. Put an old battery in jumped it and it cranked and ran for 10 minutes. Old battery would not hold a charge so put the original battery back in. The car alarm went off when I swapped batteries the first time. Think the alarm needs to be reset but don't know how to do it.

KHLOW2008

Hi pepsiaddict,

If it is a factory system, close all doors and use the key to lock/unlock either front doors and retry.

If it is an after market system, look for a kill switch on or underdash and press the switch with ignition turned ON.

-1
TIFFANYMORENO
  • 1997 TOYOTA CAMRY

1997 Toyota Camry 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I recently asked for assistance with my alarm that was preventing me from starting my car. I had broke my alarm pad months ago and never used the alarm since, my battery died at walmart 3 days ago *thank god it was still there today!* Well, I would like to let you guys know where the "kill" button is for a 1997 Toyota Camry because you would have to be psychic to figure it out, or be irritated (like I was) and just start pushing stuff. It is the LED LIGHT! The actual red bulb! It pushes in and bam! There you go, you have power! Thanks

JACK42

That is an aftermarket alarm, not all of them have it, but thanks for the heads up

GMSD82
  • 2000 TOYOTA CAMRY

2000 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 75000 miles

Every once in a while, my daughter's 2000 Camry aftermarket car alarm will go off when she tries to enter her car. The alarm goes off. She can get in, and tries to start the car, but it won't start. It has a little red button to the left of the steering column that can be pushed in, or out. That's about all we know about it. The Toyota dealership identified it as "after market"

How can we figure out how to turn off the alarm when it happens? What steps should she try to do? Somehow she's managed to get it turned off in the past, but tonight, while 800 miles from home, it wouldn't.

She was stranded at a park tonight when it happened. She finally got the car started after someone helped her disconnect and reconnect the battery, but the man also disconnected the horn.

Friday, August 18th, 2017 AT 6:44 PM (Merged)
MHPAUTOS

Hi there,

Trying to diagnose this type of "after market " item is near impossible with out being able to see first hand how it is wired up. I would get an auto electrician to disarm the system, then either install a know new unit that you will be able to repair if it goes wrong.

RAYMOND WILSON
  • 2000 TOYOTA CAMRYTOYOTA CAMRY

I have two questions. The first, when I turn the key nothing happens. After doing it many times is will finally start. This brings me to my next question. I thought it might by the start and silinoid so I bought a new one. I disconnected the battery cable. No when I reconnect the battery cable the alarm goes off. I don't know how to deactivate it. I just bought the car and was only given an ignition key.

4CARHELP

I am having the same problem with a 96 camry v4

and the starter, alternator, and battery all checked

out fine on the diagnostic but a week later it

wouldn't start only when I jiggle it a little bit, but

now no start at all, and a friend told me it might be

my alarm throwing off my starter because of the

security feature that when the alarm is armed the

car wont start, but the only way to deactivate is

to know the code that came with alarm if factory

the dealer would know what it is and probably fix it

at know charge but aftermarket alarm you will have

to go where it was installed. But the code is what

you need. Let meknow how it works out?