ALARM SYSTEM

DNSPARKS
  • 1999 TOYOTA CAMRY

Is there any way to disconnect the alarm system! It goes off all by itself day or night!

Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009 AT 12:25 PM

ZACKMAN

Is it factory or aftermarket alarm? If an aftermarket alarm has been installed cut it out and reconnect the wires the way the factory had it, if its a factory alarm it could have a door switch that is not adjusted. With the alarm set try to pull on each door it see if the alarm goes off. This would be the door that's needs a new latch.

Here are some guides and diagrams (below) so you can do some checking and get the problem fixed.

Please let us know what happens so we can keep helping you.

Cheers

Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009 AT 3:34 PM
DNSPARKS

It is factory installed, model is ( le ) and it is a 4 cyl. Can the alarm system be permanently uninstalled?

Denise

Wednesday, February 4th, 2009 AT 8:09 AM
ZACKMAN

After reading the wiring diagrams for the anti-theft, power door lock, power windows, and keyless entry system, it is inadvisable that you unplug the anti-theft ECU. I believe all operations I have mentioned go through the ECU to work.

The diagnostic in the TSB suggests that you check the anti-theft horn (#4l) and its fuse (#1) in the picture. Here is the caveat. You may either pull the fuse or unplug the horn wiring harness. That will be safer than unplugging the ECU.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_99camryalarm1_1.jpg

The alarm ECU and its wiring harnesses.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_99camryalarm_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_99camryalarm_2.jpg

-1
Wednesday, February 4th, 2009 AT 11:24 AM
2CARPROS KEN

Hey DNSPARKS,

It is usually an aftermarket alarm that go off on there own, does it have a security light that flashes in the instrument cluster?

Best, Ken

Friday, January 27th, 2017 AT 1:51 AM
BENJAMIN.ALLEN
  • 1999 TOYOTA CAMRY

1999 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

My camry came with an alarm that if it goes off then it emobilizes the engine and you have to stick the key in and hit the little res relay swich on the left side of the dash. This time the alrm went off and I stuck the key in and hit the relay switch and everything died no power to anything. The car sat for a while and then I went to try it again I charged the battery hooked it back up the alarm went off I stuck the key in and hit the relay switch and the same thing happened how do I find out what the problem is when this happens I'm not able to get any power to the car for a while I have to take the battery off for a while then hook it up to get power, but the when I stick the key in and hit the relay it starts all over again

Friday, January 27th, 2017 AT 1:52 AM (Merged)

It sounds llike you might just have a weak or dead battery. Are the headlights bright before you try to start the engine? I assume this is an aftermarket alarm system since factory systems don't use reset switches.

The battery cables could also be loose or dirty. If jump-starting doesn't help, grab a cheap digital voltmeter and measure battery voltage. I can walk you through that if you need help.

BENJAMIN.ALLEN

I have checked the battery already the battery is fine.

Dandy.

When you said, "I'm not able to get any power to the car for a while I have to take the battery off for a while then hook it up to get power", do you mean no power to the starter, or does that include headlights, dome lights, and stuff like that?

BENJAMIN.ALLEN

Eveything looses power

NEESIE
  • 1999 TOYOTA CAMRY

One of my remotes to open my car and turn off the alarm broke. The other one had problems in the past. Now my alarm goes off any time I get near my Camry or jiggle the remote. Sometimes just lightly tapping the bottom of the remote will stop the alarm. The car will start locking and unlocking by itself over and over, which will set the alarm off. I don't have hundreds of dollars to fix this. Could I just need a new remote or is it the computer? The dealer charges 3 times as much as anyone else to fix anything. Help.

Try a new remote an dsetting it up like it's supposed to be. Any car alarm company should be able to help you out.

BENJAMIN.ALLEN

Everything shuts off

Ok. Do you have a digital voltmeter or test light that you can take some measurements with?

Start on the two battery posts. You should see near 12.6 volts if the battery is fully charged. Turn the headlight switch on. We want to make these measurements when everything is dead, but to be safe, leave the headlight switch turned on. By the way, if you bump or wiggle something and the lights come on, look very closely where you're working. Tiny sparks too will be a clue.

If the battery voltage is low, say around 10 - 11 volts, the battery has a dead cell and must be replaced or it is discharged and must be recharged before continuing. If the voltage is around 12.6 volts, move the probes, one at a time, from the battery post to the cable clamp on each post. Both times when you move a probe, you must see the same voltage. If the reading drops when you measure on one of the clamps, that clamp is loose or has corrosion in the connection.

Start with those measurements. If you always read 12 volts, we will need to keep moving the meter probes down the cables to more test points until we find where the voltage drops.