1992 Toyota Camry Engine Overheats

BITU
  • 1992 TOYOTA CAMRY
My Camry, 1992, 6 cyl, over heats after driving about 10-12 miles. On freeway it works ok but as soon as it enters local roads with traffic signal it starts over heating. I recently replaced the thermostate but did not helped. I got my whole engine remade including gasket before 35K miles. So once it over heats all the coolant from radiator goes into the reserve and starts boiling in reserve. Eventually reserve gets full and coolant comes out from the over flow pipe. So I stop the engine and lets it cool down and when I look after 4-5 hours coolant in the reserve is almost empty. So I don;t know whether it evoprates or goes back to engine/radiator.
Wednesday, August 12th, 2009 AT 2:50 PM

MHPAUTOS
HI there,

I would check that the fan is working(dose yours have the hydraulic driven fan?) And get the radiator checked for any blockage, also have a head check done as these engines don't respond well to being over heated.

Thursday, August 13th, 2009 AT 4:47 AM
DENALI_ALYESKA
Sounds exactly like your timing belt tensioner going bad. It's an easy replacement. Hope you didn't lose a head gasket like I did.
Friday, September 11th, 2009 AT 9:31 PM