FUEL PUMP?

1987 Toyota Camry

Carolynmagno

March, 15, 2010 AT 3:00 PM

1987 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150k+ miles

I have a '87 toyota camry. This car one day while driving just stalled on me on the freeway. At first it felt as if I had run out of gas, After a friend looked at it, he seems to think its the fuel pump. Ether clogged or needs replacement. My question is, does this sound possible or may it be something else? It sounds like it want to start, its not completely dead but it just wont turn over. Please advise before I take it in for work and being a woman not knowing much about this, am trying to avoid extra unnessary work. Thanks

March, 15, 2010 AT 3:38 PM

Cranks but no start condition: Fuel and Spark

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it.

Compression: If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems
with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time/broken or jumped timing
belt/chain.

Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe