FUEL PUMP REPLACEMENT

1992 Toyota Camry

ajwedding

August, 26, 2010 AT 7:03 PM

1992 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 210, 00 miles

My '92 Camry won't " catch" when the starter is tried. I'm told that it is the fuel pump. Where is it located, how hard is it to install and is there a diagram of the engine to copy?
I also see online a fuel pump for $60 when all local shops want $150 or more. Am I getting scammed?

Wrenchtech

August, 26, 2010 AT 7:08 PM

The fuel pump is not on the engine at all. It's an electric pump and it's inside the fuel tank. Most vehicles require removing the tank but this one can be accessed by removing the back seat.
As far as buying the pump, I would be real hesitant to buy something like that online. That is the place where your going to get ripped off. Buy a name brand from a local supplier and you'll have a lot less problems.

ajwedding

August, 26, 2010 AT 7:12 PM

Is there a diagram available to show where the fuel pump is located?
You have to take the whole back seat out?

Wrenchtech

August, 26, 2010 AT 7:16 PM

Yes, you have to take the whole lower cushion out. I suggest you pick up a service manual for that car and you will get instructions on all that stuff.

Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test