2001 TOYOTA AVALON VEHICLE SKID CONTROL VSC

• mrwojo
  • 2001 Toyota Avalon

2001 Toyota Avalon 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 58000 miles

The VSC and VSC OFF lights on the dash stay on in addition to the CHECK ENGINE light.

We have checked all the related fuses and all are OK.

What is the likely cause and is this something a reasonably competent home mechanic can resolve?

Wednesday, August 6th, 2008 AT 8:51 PM

• mastertechtim

The vsr is probably a light that is coming on due to the check engine light. Fix the check engine light and I bet the vsr goes out. My suggestion is go to a autozone or a big local auto parts store and have them scan your car for trouble codes (they do it for free) then get back to us with the codes and we can go from there

Thursday, August 7th, 2008 AT 7:48 PM
  • mrwojo

I used an AutoXray EzRead 2000 that reported codes P0171 (System too lean Bank 1), and P0174 (System too lean Bank 2).

What does that mean? And can I clear the codes to see if it clears the VSC light?

R/
Jim

Friday, August 8th, 2008 AT 2:04 PM
  • mastertechtim

Yes you can. Those codes together are caused by either a vacuum leak (rubber hose broken attached to engine) or a dirty mass air flow sensor. Try buying some mass air flow cleaner at parts store and follow instructions. Dont replace o2 sensors, that will not fix anything.

Friday, August 8th, 2008 AT 5:40 PM