2000 Toyota Avalon A/C blows, but not cool. Light wont com

SECANDA
  • 2000 TOYOTA AVALON
Light came on until about a week ago. A/C blows but its warm air. A/C light has only come on twice in last 2 weeks. It used to even come on when I set HEAT to "Auto".

Called dealership and they mentioned it may be the relay. Where is the relay and is it labled?

I already checked and replaced the fuse (it was still a good fuse).
Thursday, April 1st, 2010 AT 5:45 PM

Hi:
This could be the result of a couple things. First, when the AC works, is it cold? DO you hear the compressor cycling? As far as the relay, there is a relay block under the hood of the vehicle. It will be a black plastic box. As far as location, all of the relay locations should be listed on the underside of the lid covering the box.

Let me know if you find it and if that is the problem. Also note, if the AC is low on freon, it can cause a similar problem.

Let me know what you find, and I wish you a Happy Easter.
+1
Friday, April 2nd, 2010 AT 12:15 PM
SECANDA
Hello Joe. Thank you for you answer. I should have provided more information in my question. As far as I can tell I have 2 relay blocks under the hood and 1 fuse box in the cabin of the car. None of the relay blocks have anything on them that indicate A/C on the underside of the lid covering box. So when I ask where is the relay, I mean very specifically.

Did I mention when I called the dealership, they also mentioned it possibly being the relay. I would very much like to replace that 1st rather than take it somewhere.

Yes, the A/C was ice cold. Many times I would have to crack a window or sunroof when it ran.

I ran it most recently less than 45 days ago. It worked just fine then.

Hearing the compressor; I hear the same amount of noise now as I did when I ran the A/C previously. So I guess I hear it (shrugs) however, I do not feel the adjustment in how the vehicle runs when I cut it on. I used to feel it as if less power was in the performance of the vehicle.
Saturday, April 3rd, 2010 AT 7:38 AM
Not a problem. Actually, I was looking over wiring schematics for your exact car. It is located in the left front inner fender. The wires should be yellow, blue with black tracer (2 of them), and red with a white tracer.

Here is a picture of the schematic. I had to enlarge it to read it. Let me know if it helps.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249084_aaaa_2.jpg

PS: Have a great Easter!
+1
Sunday, April 4th, 2010 AT 1:30 AM
SECANDA
Thanks. Hope you had a Happy Easter as well. No this did not help me at all. I print it, I cant see it, I blow it up, I cant see it. So am I to understand that I dont have a regular old A/C relay that I can pull out with some vice grips (yoink!) And pop a new one back in?

I did find some additional relays but they were for something else other than the A/C. Also according to a part that I googled which says its my A/C relay (as per a different site) the prongs were different. That site did not give the location where the relay should go either.

I just need to know specifically where the A/C relay goes. Unfortunately I live in the TAlanta are and the pollen count is 1600+ so I will have to take the car in to have someone look at the A/C by Wed of this week becasue I can not continue to have the windows down and ride without sever reprecussions to my respiratory function.

If you can, please advise. If not, I understand.

Thanks.
Monday, April 5th, 2010 AT 3:29 PM
SECANDA

Thanks.
Monday, April 5th, 2010 AT 3:30 PM
Actually, according the schematic, it should be located on the left front inner fender. The wiring going to it should be the colors I described. As far as replacing it, all my information shows a relay (removeable) so you should be able to just unplug it and replace it.

Would it help if I tried to email the schematic to your personal email? Maybe then you could copy and paste it to paint book and enlarge it to actually see it. Also, when you look at the picture I sent, it is located at the top left.

Let me know if you can think of a way for me to send a better copy.

Monday, April 5th, 2010 AT 9:59 PM
SECANDA
I dont think it will help. I dont even see the relays to which you are referring. Per the manual and all other sources I have checked there should be no additional relays. I have been informed that the relay that controls the A/C is the MG/CLT relay.

The vehicle will be taken to an A/C repair place this morning and I have my father's truck. Because of the extremely high pollen count (6000), I was going to soon have a respiratory issue.

Thank you for your replies but they had me no closer to a resolution than I was prior to posting the question.
Wednesday, April 7th, 2010 AT 7:52 AM
I'm sorry that didn't help. I was just reading from the schmematic. According to it, that is the relay. As far as the breathing problem, I understand.
Wednesday, April 7th, 2010 AT 10:03 AM