ENGINE NOISES 2 WKS. AFTER TIMING BELTS AND WP REPLACEMENT

Toyota 4Runner

justadriver

November, 2, 2007 AT 12:40 PM

I took in my 1999 4runner for timing belt and water pump replacement at a local dealership service center 2 weeks ago. Last night, I heard loud squeeking noises and some smoke coming out of the engine as soon as I started the engine. Called the dealership and had the truck towed. I'm being told that the noises are caused by the AC compressor pulley and that it was not something that they did or missed to do. They contend that the pulley is on the opposite side of where they worked on for the belts and H20 pump. They want $450 to repair it. Sounds a bit fishy to me or is this just a bad coincidence?

lostinmars

November, 4, 2007 AT 12:48 AM

Well unless they have the special tool to compress the timing belt tensioner w/o removing the a/c compressor (tool is an aftermarket creation not a toyota certified tool) it has to be removed to gain access to the timing belt tensioner. So chances are they did move/remove the a/c compressor. Were you charged for freon? If so that means they removed it and had to recharge the a/c system. If so maybe the a/c system lost some oil in the process and they didn't add any back in.

Another common mistake on these is not tightening the crankshaft bolt to the proper torque spec. If so it might of come loose and caused the noise.

Now this is all speculation w/o seeing the vehicle.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX