Timing chain replacement instructions please?

EDELMIRO CASTILLO
  • 2007 NISSAN ALTIMA
Changed the timing chain on this car and did not mark the points. Now car starts only after several attempts only when I unplug the cam sensor on the head. I then turn it off and connect the cam sensor and it will not start. What do you think I did wrong with the timing chain? I have been looking into YouTube for a diagram of the timing point on this car an nothing. Would appreciate any help or advice why the car starts only when the cam sensor is disconnected.
Wednesday, December 12th, 2018 AT 12:31 AM

ASEMASTER6371
Good morning,

I attached the timing chain alignment marks for the new chain. The new chain must have the colored links for aligning it correctly.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/serpentine-belt-timing-belt-timing-chain-diagrams

The reason it will not start is the crank/cam correlation is not correct.

Wednesday, December 12th, 2018 AT 6:56 AM
EDELMIRO CASTILLO
Looking at the diagram you sent me, do you think the marks (points) will be exactly like that? Look at my pictures I think the bottom mark won't be in place.
Thank you very much for your respond. Very much appreciated.
Thursday, December 13th, 2018 AT 11:50 PM
ASEMASTER6371
The bottom picture is at an angle and I cannot tell if the marks are correct. Can you get a different picture?

Friday, December 14th, 2018 AT 4:35 AM
EDELMIRO CASTILLO
Just wondering if the mark of the oil pump is one teeth out of timing will the car start. I think I do have the oil pump chain on wrong.
Friday, December 14th, 2018 AT 8:40 AM
EDELMIRO CASTILLO
Because the chain has 17 chain on one side and 18 on the other.
Friday, December 14th, 2018 AT 8:44 AM
ASEMASTER6371
The oil pump chain will not effect starting at all. It is just for running the oil pump. It also acts as a balance for the chains as well.

Friday, December 14th, 2018 AT 8:45 AM
EDELMIRO CASTILLO
The first picture is the diagram you sent me, second is the one I was following to put it on timing. Can you notice the cut is different from one to the other. Sorry for so many questions. Just really cannot find anything on the internet/YouTube for a 2007 Nissan Altima. Seems that everything cuts off at 2006.
Friday, December 14th, 2018 AT 9:28 AM
ASEMASTER6371
The right side cam, the key way look to be straight up but make sure the chain link is in the correct location.

Friday, December 14th, 2018 AT 10:19 AM
EDELMIRO CASTILLO
Do you think because I change the VV-T thats why the car isn't starting. The original one is the dirty one and missing screw. Thanks for your help
Thursday, December 20th, 2018 AT 7:50 PM
ASEMASTER6371
First, I would verify the marks. Once you have done that, do a compression to verify the timing is correct.

Get that set first and then we can proceed.

-1
Thursday, December 20th, 2018 AT 10:03 PM
EDELMIRO CASTILLO
Do you know how much compression it should have? Because the spark plugs are black. Thank you
Friday, December 21st, 2018 AT 8:24 AM
ASEMASTER6371
At least 140 to 160.

Friday, December 21st, 2018 AT 10:41 AM
EDELMIRO CASTILLO
I am not guiding myself with the points since I lost the marks. What I do is put the piston on the top and this is the compression it has, but car doesn't have spark in the coils.
Wednesday, December 26th, 2018 AT 8:43 PM
EDELMIRO CASTILLO
In this position I moved 1 teeth and it gave me that compression. Car still doesn't have spark in the coils.
Wednesday, December 26th, 2018 AT 8:50 PM
EDELMIRO CASTILLO
In this position I moved 2 teeth and it gave me this compression and still car doesn't have spark in the coils. Which position should I leave it on, even though it doesn't have spark?
Thank you
Wednesday, December 26th, 2018 AT 8:55 PM
EDELMIRO CASTILLO
This is how I put the pulley with the mark when the piston is up.
-1
Wednesday, December 26th, 2018 AT 9:56 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Sorry, away for a while.

You need to set the chain exactly as the diagram shows. You moving the chain around can result in bending of valves.

Monday, December 31st, 2018 AT 5:56 AM
EORLKV
  • 2005 NISSAN ALTIMA
Car listed above is a four door sedan. Replaced crankshaft position sensor with OEM part from O'Riley's that's what code scanner was showing. After replaced p0375 code and p0335 both show had a technician friend of mine use his scanner, it shows everything is fine but now for some reason his scanner showed that there is some kind of timing issue, his scanner says recommended is at 0 but is running between 51 and 54. His scanner has option to adjust this timing but every time tried scanner got kicked out of option screen and said operation not valid or available, is this because it's the actual timing chain or is it due to Nissan over ride that won't allow my friend's snap on scanner to readjust this issue even though it shows he's able to. And also my car wouldn't allow his scanner to re-calibrate my speedometer. Any advice?
Thursday, February 25th, 2021 AT 11:40 AM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
Good morning,

This sounds like you need a timing chain. The marks are no longer aligned and that is why you have these codes and the timing showing that far off.

There is no adjustment for the timing chain. That is automatic with a tensioner.

You will need to replace the timing chain.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-a-timing-belt-works

TIMING CHAIN

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

Removal and Installation

CAUTION: Apply new engine oil to parts marked in illustration before installation.

REMOVAL
1. Support the engine and transaxle assembly with suitable tools.
2. Remove RH splash shield.
3. Remove the upper and lower oil pan, and oil strainer.
4. Remove generator. Refer to "Removal".
5. Remove engine cover.
6. Disconnect variable timing control solenoid harness connector.
7. Remove engine ground.
8. Remove the coolant overflow reservoir tank.
9. Position the RH engine compartment fuse and relay box aside.
10. Remove the RH engine mount and bracket.

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

11. Loosen bolts in the numerical order as shown.

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

Remove the IVT (intake valve timing) control cover using Tool.
Tool number : KV10111100 (J-37228)
12. Pull chain guide between camshaft sprockets out through front cover.

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

13. Set the No. 1 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke with the following procedure:
a. Rotate the crankshaft pulley clockwise and align the mating marks to the timing indicator on the front cover.

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

b. At the same time, make sure that the mating marks on camshaft sprockets are lined up with the yellow links in the timing chain, as shown.
- If not lined up, rotate the crankshaft pulley one more turn to line up the mating marks to the positions as shown.

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

14. Remove crankshaft pulley with the following procedure:
a. Hold the crankshaft pulley using suitable tool, then loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt, and pull the pulley out about 10 mm (0.39 inch).

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

b. Attach suitable pulley puller in the M 6 (0.24 inch diameter) thread hole on crankshaft pulley, and remove crankshaft pulley using a suitable puller.

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

15. Remove the front cover with the following procedure:
a. Loosen the bolts in the reverse order as shown, and remove them.
b. Remove the front cover.

CAUTION:
- Be careful not to damage the mounting surface.

16. If the front oil seal needs to be replaced, lift it out with a screwdriver to remove it.

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

17. Remove timing chain with the following procedure:
a. Push in the tensioner plunger. Insert a stopper pin into the hole on the tensioner body to hold the chain tensioner.
- Use a wire of 0.5 mm (0.02 inch) diameter as a stopper pin.
b. Remove the chain tensioner.

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

c. Secure hexagonal part of the camshaft with a wrench and loosen the camshaft sprocket bolt and remove the camshaft sprocket for both camshafts.

CAUTION:
- Do not rotate the crankshaft or camshafts while the timing chain is removed. It can cause damage to the valve and piston.

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

18. Remove the chain slack guide, tension guide, timing chain, and oil pump drive spacer.
19. Remove the timing chain tensioner for the balancer unit with the following procedure:
a. Lift the tensioner lever up, and release the ratchet claw for installation.
b. Push tensioner sleeve in, and hold it.
c. Matching the hole on lever with the one on body, insert a stopper pin to secure tensioner sleeve.
d. Remove the timing chain tensioner for the balancer unit.
20. Remove timing chain for balancer unit and crankshaft sprocket.

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

21. Loosen bolts in reverse order as shown, and remove balancer unit.
- Use Torx socket (size E14)

CAUTION:
- Do not disassemble balancer unit.
KENNY VANHORN
So it doesn't matter about the sensor not being from Nissan or it not being the new type with the metal instead of plastic, and why would the obd2 scanner show that the adjustments are available?

Sponsored links