That's what the TSB says to do.
Here is the portion that refers to installing the outer chain.
1. Install the lower timing chain (refer to "Installation of Lower Timing Chain" in this bulletin).
2. Install upper timing chain and sprockets, using the painted reference marks made during removal.
3. Install chain tensioner. Remove the pin holding the piston in the bore of the tensioner.
NOTE : The two chain guides for the upper timing chain have been deleted. Discard the two chain guides and their bolts during any service to the timing chain.
4. Install camshaft sprocket cover:
a. Use a scraper to remove all traces of liquid gasket from the mating surfaces of the engine block and camshaft sprocket cover.
B. Apply a continuous bead of RTV sealant to the cover as shown in Figure 6.
NOTE : Use Genuine Nissan RTV silicone sealant P/N 999MP-A7007, Three Bond P/N TB1 207D or equivalent.
C. Also place RTV sealant on the head gasket surface.
CAUTION : Be careful not to tear or damage the cylinder head gasket.
CAUTION : Be careful upper timing chain does not slip or jump when installing the camshaft sprocket cover.
D. Install camshaft sprocket cover.
5. Install rubber plugs into cylinder head after applying RTV sealant (see Figure 7).
6. Install rocker cover, tightening the bolts as shown in Figure 8.
7. Install upper right engine mount and bracket.
8. Install power steering fluid reservoir tank.
9. Install alternator support bracket and alternator.
10. Install alternator, power steering and A/C compressor drive belts.
11. Install vacuum hoses, electrical harnesses and connectors.
Wednesday, December 28th, 2011 AT 11:32 AM