After replacing the timing chain my car wont start

JR1217
  • 2000 NISSAN ALTIMA

We changed the timing chains and the guides. Now the car wont start? We are thinking it's not in time. I have gas and a little spark. When I am trying to turn it over it turns slow. Do you know if the left cam should have play in it? Any ideas

Saturday, August 16th, 2014 AT 1:28 PM

2CARPROS KEN

Yes it does sound like you got the timing wrong and the camshaft I would double check the marks and then goes from there.

Here are some diagrams that will help you see if you are off or not?

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken

Friday, October 13th, 2017 AT 1:46 PM
VERNONWALT
  • 2000 NISSAN ALTIMA

2000 Nissan Altima 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 139000 miles

My owners manual provides no information on the manufacturer's suggested time to replace my car's timing chain. After what number of miles of operation do you suggest that I should replace the timing chain in my car?

Friday, October 13th, 2017 AT 1:47 PM (Merged)
BLUELIGHTNIN6

Your vehicle uses a timing chain, chains don't have a specific interval to replace them. Chains are supposed to last as long as the engine.

TALENT
  • 1999 NISSAN ALTIMA

What color should spark be at plug on 1999 nissan altima

ASEMASTER6371

What is the compression?

MY99ALTIMA
  • 1999 NISSAN ALTIMA

Replaced timing gears/chains. Car runs good above 1000 rpm. Idles rough when braking or sitting in drive/reverse, smooths out a little in neutral. Also replaced plugs.

SATURNTECH9

How did it run before changing the chain? Also, you double checked all your timing marks to me sure there still correct?

SPANKY628
  • 1999 NISSAN ALTIMA

Do I need to remove the engine in order to replace the timing chain on a 1999 nissan altima

SATURNTECH9

Home | Account | Contact ALLDATA | Log Out | Help 2CARPROS COM INC
2CARPROS COM IN00007

Select Vehicle | New TSBs | Technician's Reference Component Search:

Conversion Calculator

1999 Nissan-Datsun Altima GLE L4-2.4L (KA24DE)
Vehicle Level Engine, Cooling and Exhaust Engine Timing Chain Technical Service Bulletins Engine - New Timing Chain/Front Cover Service Procedure Service Procedure Removal of Upper Timing Chain

Removal of Upper Timing Chain

1. Remove the spark plug wires.

2. Set # 1 piston at TDC on its compression stroke.

3. Remove vacuum hoses, electrical harness, connectors, and harness clamps.

4. Remove the power steering pump, A/C compressor, and alternator belts.

5. Remove the power steering reservoir tank and reposition it for clearance.

6. Install engine support eye bracket at right rear of cylinder head, then support engine.

7. Remove upper right engine mount and bracket.

8. Remove the rocker cover.

9. Remove camshaft sprocket cover.

10. Wipe off the links of the timing chain next to the timing marks on the sprockets. Put paint marks on the timing chain, matching them with the timing marks on the cam sprockets and idler sprocket (see Figure 1).

11. Remove cam sprocket bolts, cam sprockets, upper timing chain guides (if equipped) and upper timing chain.

Removal of Lower Timing Chain

1. Drain coolant by removing the cylinder block drain plug and opening the radiator drain **** (Refer to MA section of the Service Manual).

2. Drain engine oil.

3. Remove the oil pan (Refer to "Removal" under "Oil Pan" in the Service Manual).

4. Remove the power steering pump and position it to the side. Remove the idler pulley and bracket as well.

5. Set # 1 piston at TDC on its compression stroke.

6. Remove the crankshaft pulley.

7. Remove the oil separator.

8. Remove the front cover.

NOTE : Engine may need to be lowered to provide clearance for the chain tensioner housing of the timing cover to clear the frame. Engine height may need to be adjusted when removing the cover.

CAUTION : Be careful not to tear or damage the cylinder head gasket.

9. Remove the following parts:

Lower timing chain tensioner (push piston in and insert a suitable pin into the hole).
Chain tension arm.
Lower timing chain guide.

10. Remove the upper timing chain (refer to "Removal of Upper Timing Chain" in this bulletin).

11. Wipe off the links of the timing chain next to the timing marks on the sprockets. Apply paint marks to the lower timing chain, matching them with the mating marks on the crankshaft sprocket and idler sprocket (see Figure 3).

12. Remove the lower timing chain and sprocket.

Installation of Lower Timing Chain

1. Install the crankshaft sprocket, making sure the mating marks face the front of the engine.

2. Install the idler sprocket and lower timing chain using the mating marks and the paint marks made during the removal process.

3. Install chain guide and chain tension arm.

4. Install lower chain tensioner and remove the pin securing the piston into the tensioner body.

5. Front cover installation:a. Using a scraper or other suitable tool remove all traces of liquid gasket from the cylinder block, oil separator (pre-98' models) and front cover mating surfaces.

B. Install new crankshaft seal in front cover (see Figure 4).

. Apply a continuous bead of RTV sealant to the breather separator (pre-98' models) and to the front cover (see Figure 5).

NOTE : Use Genuine Nissan RTV silicone sealant P/N 999MP-A7007, Three Bond P/N TB12O7D or equivalent.

NOTE : 1998-1999 models use a paper gasket, not RTV silicone, for the breather separator.

D. Also place RTV sealant on the head gasket surface.
E. Install the front cover to the engine.

F. Install the oil separator to the front cover.

6. Install oil pan, referring to "Installation" in the "OIL PAN" section of the Service Manual.

7. Install the following parts:a. Crankshaft pulley.
B. A/C compressor and idler pulley bracket.
C. Power steering pump.

Installation of Upper Timing Chain

1. Install the lower timing chain (refer to "Installation of Lower Timing Chain" in this bulletin).

2. Install upper timing chain and sprockets, using the painted reference marks made during removal.

3. Install chain tensioner. Remove the pin holding the piston in the bore of the tensioner.

NOTE : The two chain guides for the upper timing chain have been deleted. Discard the two chain guides and their bolts during any service to the timing chain.

4. Install camshaft sprocket cover:a. Use a scraper to remove all traces of liquid gasket from the mating surfaces of the engine block and camshaft sprocket cover.

B. Apply a continuous bead of RTV sealant to the cover as shown in Figure 6.

NOTE : Use Genuine Nissan RTV silicone sealant P/N 999MP-A7007, Three Bond P/N TB1 207D or equivalent.

C. Also place RTV sealant on the head gasket surface.

CAUTION : Be careful upper timing chain does not slip or jump when installing the camshaft sprocket cover.

D. Install camshaft sprocket cover.

5. Install rubber plugs into cylinder head after applying RTV sealant (see Figure 7).

6. Install rocker cover, tightening the bolts as shown in Figure 8.

7. Install upper right engine mount and bracket.

8. Install power steering fluid reservoir tank.

9. Install alternator support bracket and alternator.

10. Install alternator, power steering and A/C compressor drive belts.

11. Install vacuum hoses, electrical harnesses and connectors.

12. Support lower timing chain by using a suitable tool as shown in Figure 2 to avoid chain tensioner spring from coming out.

NOTE : This step is only to be applied when the lower cover is not being removed.

13. Remove the idler sprocket.

+2
2000ALTIMA
  • 2000 NISSAN ALTIMA

Noises problem
2000 Nissan Altima 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 102300 miles

I have a dull roar coming from the engine, I can't pinpoint it but saw on consumer reports about lower timing chain guides are a common issue with the Altima. They also mention a broken BTV valve bracket. What is a BTV valve and where do I find it. T-chain guide is probably a big job and I may not tangle with it. Like to work on 'em but know my limitations. Any help about the location of BTV valve and what I can expect if I try to fix the t-chain guide would be helpful. Thanks. Kevin.

MASTERTECHTIM

Remove the valve cover and look for the broken bracket. I dont know for sure but I remember having one of these altimas with a 4 cyl making noise like it was a timing chain and I removed valve cover and found something broken or loose and I removed it and that fixed it. I know it doesnt sound too professional but I just cant remember exactly what it was but I remember it was a easy fix after removing valve cover. Hope this helps