Heater core replacement instructions please?

CHRIS THEFATHERPOPPOP EATON
  • 2003 FORD F-150
  • 118 MILES
I smell a some what sweet smell coming from my vents when I turn on the heat. It could possibly be antifreeze not sure. But it do give me a headache and irritate my throat. I do get heat and air no problem.
Tuesday, April 4th, 2017 AT 1:32 PM

DANNY L
Hello, I'm Danny.

Here is the information you requested. Yes, The smell could be your heater core leaking. This is a tutorial showing how to replace a heater core.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-heater-core

Below I've attached the picture replacement steps of the heater core for your truck. Hope this helps and thanks for using 2CarPros.
Thursday, April 15th, 2021 AT 8:09 PM
BOOLADOG
  • 2002 FORD F-150
When I turn on my heater or air conditioner I can see steam blowing out of the vents. Does my heater coil have a leak or what might be the problem? Thanks, Jay
Monday, April 19th, 2021 AT 3:12 PM (Merged)
KASEKENNY1
Unfortunately this means you most likely have a heater core leak even though you can see it or find coolant.

If the smell is sweet then this is coolant getting turned to steam.

I am attaching the process below for the heater core on the vehicle listed on this post.

Let us know if you have questions Thanks
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2002 FORD F-150
I am getting steam from my vents and also smells like raidiator overheating which is isn't someone told me it was the heater core but I have no water in the cab can you help?
If the truck came from the factory with air conditioning, there will be a drain pan under the heater core to collect the water that condenses on the evaporator. If the heater core is leaking, you'll find the coolant dripping from that drain onto the ground behind and left of the passenger front tire. Here is a guide that will help walk you through the steps of changing it with diagrams below to show you how on your truck.

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
EGOFF
  • 1999 FORD F-150
How hard is it and how long to change out a heater core?
BMRFIXIT
Its a good 7 to 8 hr of labor you need to remove everything in front of you all the way to the heater box. This guide will help walk you through the repair with instructions in the diagrams below to show you hoe on your truck.

if your truck has AC you will need to vacuum down and recharge the system this video will show you how.

https://youtu.be/4EqdrBVb0sY

CHARLES CONLEY
  • 1999 FORD F-150
I am having trouble getting to the heater core in my truck. Do I have to take the whole dash out to complete the job?
Monday, April 19th, 2021 AT 3:13 PM (Merged)
DANNY L
Hello, I'm Danny.

Just to add more content I've attached picture steps below. Here is a tutorial showing how to replace a heater core:

Below I've attached the picture replacement steps for your truck. Hope this helps and thanks for using 2CarPros.
RSTEVENS
  • 1998 FORD F-150
How to replace a heater core in a 1998 Ford F150 4x4 5.4
Here is what I was able to get for you. Let me know if it helps. I have attached pictures to help, but I have to be honest, it isn't a fun job.

Have a HVAC-trained, EPA-certified, automotive technician recover the air conditioning system refrigerant.
Drain and recycle the engine coolant.

Remove the driver's side quarter trim panel.
Detach the electrical connectors on the auxiliary air conditioning and heater assembly.
Disconnect the heater core hose couplings.
Remove the evaporator case drain hose.
Disconnect the auxiliary A/C evaporator lines.
Remove the pin-type retainer.
Remove the A/C outlet duct.
Remove the three bolts and remove the auxiliary air conditioning and heater assembly.
Remove the ten evaporator/heater core access cover retaining bolts and remove the evaporator/heater core access cover.
Remove the heater core. To install:
The installation is the reverse of the removal.
Have a MVAC-trained, EPA-certified, automotive technician recharge the air conditioning system.

Let me know if you have additional questions.
DILL-11
  • 1998 FORD F-150
How much labor time to replace the heater core? Also do I have to replace the door that open and closes for ac and head? Also do I have to take the steering c olum down? And the dash all the way out of the car?
TY ANDERSON
I should take an experience person 7.0 hrs to complete a heater core replacement.

It maybe a good idea to replace the blend door while you in there. If you having trouble with heating and cooling coming out the vents try looking up "heater treater". They provide service kits that take much less time to repair broken doors inside the air condition box.

On the F150 and Explorers I''ve dropped the steering column on the driver seat and removed the dash. I take more time fighting the air condition box with the dash in your way and it makes it a much cleaner repair to do (heater core remove and replace).

The blend doors in the air condition box are a common failure for breaking.
If you have any more questions feel free to reply.
+1
JESSE83705
  • 1998 FORD F-150
I have the same problem as another member I read about on your site. I am trying to access the heater core and am finding it very tough to remove the dash in order to do this. I have been unsuccessful in finding any drawings that would indicate key bolts or screws. Where might I be able to obtain this information?
JACK42
Here is what you need to replace the core. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what happens.
-1
MOOSE0152
  • 1998 FORD F-150
How to replace a 98 F-150 Heater Core?
Here is instructions and diagrams below to show you how to replace your heater core.

Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Drain and recycle the engine coolant.
Disconnect the coolant hoses at the heater core tubes.
Remove the glove compartment.
Position the Rear Anti-lock Brake System (RABS) module to the side.
From inside the passenger's compartment, remove the 7 screws that secure the heater core access cover to the plenum chamber.
Disconnect the vacuum source, but leave the vacuum harness connected to the cover and remove the cover.
Remove the heater core.To install:
Installation is the reverse of removal. Replace any damaged sealer.

If you have AC the system will need to be vacuumed down and recharged.

https://youtu.be/4EqdrBVb0sY

this guide can help as well

+2
DA_FORD_MAN
  • 1997 FORD F-150
I have put 3 standard aluminium heater cores in my truck in 2 years. Every time I start to smell anti-freeze from the vents, then see smoke coming from them, and finally it starts leaking anti-freeze out on the ground. I am lookin for a copper heater core b/c the ford dealership said that would fix the problem. Could anyone explain what is causing the heater core to start leaking?
BLACKOP555
Could be bad grounding. check to make sure all the grounding straps are tight and properly attached on the vehicle. These guides can help you change the heater core out with instructions in the diagrams below to show you how on your truck.

If your truck had AC the system will need to be vacuumed down and recharged.

https://youtu.be/4EqdrBVb0sY

CCC822009
  • 1996 FORD F-150
I need a diagram of where my heater core would be located in my ford truck. I have a problem with my heater core spewing mist onto my windows after the pressure and the temprature drops from the vehicle. I want to just bypass the heater core all together so that I can run it without my heater core.
I dont need a heater until winter time anyways and I live in Texas so there isn't much of a winter here.

Please help

Sponsored links