DIFFERNTIAL

1996 Subaru Outback

joe-k

December, 15, 2008 AT 1:01 PM

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1996 Subaru Outback 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 112544 miles

i changed my real differential and the new one is noise not to mention the wheel are moving while skidding and there is a FWD light on my dash board showing up, but when the light automatically switch off the real diffrential make noise and wheel are skidding.

James W.

December, 15, 2008 AT 1:42 PM

Was the replacement rearend the same gear ratio as the old one?

joe-k

December, 15, 2008 AT 11:51 PM

The replacement was the same from a subaru 1996. So I belie its the same gear ratio as the old one

joe-k

December, 16, 2008 AT 10:52 AM

So what can I do to stop the noise from the real diffrential or how can I fix it?

James W.

December, 16, 2008 AT 12:34 PM

The noise your'e hearing. Is it a " howl" that gets higher in pitch the faster you drive? When you turn the driveshaft yoke at the rearend, how much slack do you have? It should only be 3 to 5 degrees, in reality, very little. Where did you get the replacement rearend, a salvage yard? Please advise.

James W.

December, 16, 2008 AT 12:53 PM

Update: There are 2 gear ratios available for '96 outback: With 1.8 and 2.2 engines, ratio should be 3.1 to 1
With 2.0 engine, ratio should be 4.11 to 1
There should be a tag attached to the rear cover with the ratio stamped on it. You can compare this # to the # on the front differential to see if they match.

joe-k

December, 17, 2008 AT 12:09 AM

Well I bought the differential at a salvage and about the noise its not that high but its a deep noise and as I move the deep noise go hand in hand with the speed.

Also the wheels tend to skid a lot as if they are moving fast than the front that is when am begin to move.

So in this case the ratio on the front differential should be the same to the real wheel?
And now that my subaru is an all wheel drive 2.5 engine what would be the best ratio?

James W.

December, 17, 2008 AT 8:51 AM

The ratio " must" be the same as the front differential. Did you find the ratio tag on the front unit? If the gear ratio's are different, you " WILL" destroy your transfer case! I didn't find a 2.5 in the engine list, but motor size is unimportant. Matched gear ratio is.

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic
Cabin Air Filter Replacement