REMOVE & REPLACE AUTODIMMING COMPAS

2001 Subaru Outback

tcorris

June, 20, 2008 AT 12:38 PM

Interior problem
2001 Subaru Outback 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

The auto dimming compass rear view mirro that came with the Subaru has stopped working. I have purchased a replacement but I can't figure out how to remove the old one. I saw a few posts that suggest that you rotate the mirror counterclockkwise 180 degrees but that didn't seem to work.

I have the complete instructions toinstall the new - I just need to know how to remove the old one.

Jack42

June, 23, 2008 AT 4:52 PM

Does it mount to the glass or the roof above the window? If above window, there is probably a cover over the bolt/screw holding it, if on windshield there should be a set screw holding it

tcorris

June, 24, 2008 AT 12:01 PM

You're kidding me right? That's an answer - look for a screw! You didn't even bother to check to see if the mirror mounted to the glass or the frame. I donated $5.00 for an answer that my 10 year old grandson already suggested - look for a screw. You guys are pathetic!

Jack42

June, 25, 2008 AT 7:21 AM

Do you think I keep an 01 suabru for reference? I Googled it, looked through my software, and could not find anything regarding the removal of the mirror. Maybe it is one of those things that if you can replace it, you should be smart enough to figure out how to remove it. Or not, you never know. Sorry you dont like the answer, btw how does it mount? Did you try turning it the other way? Dont insult my intelligence due to the fact I dont know how to remove the mirror on a Subaru. Maybe you should pay someone (it will be more than $5) to do it for you

Replace Your Transfer Case Like a Pro
4X4 Transfer Case Replacement Guide
Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Transmission Mount Replacement - RWD Cars