Stalls out

• 1 POST
  • 1985 JEEP CJ7

My vehicle starts fine and takes off fine. After eight or nine blocks it starts sputtering like it is not getting any fuel and eventually dies. After setting for a few minutes it will start up and go again? I am trying to fix small stuff myself, but honestly I am not very knowledgeable about engines. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thursday, July 7th, 2016 AT 1:16 PM

I am giving you some testing that has to be performed during that few minutes that it will not run.

All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can only be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem is not present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That is what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the information required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the positive terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.

Thursday, July 7th, 2016 AT 1:40 PM
  • 815 POSTS

Hi Harold,

Here is a link to an article from this site that features written instructions and pictures showing and explaining the process of checking the fuel pressure yourself. If you decide you would like do this yourself you can purchase an inexpensive fuel pressure gauge online from sites like For your convenience I have included a link to fuel pressure gauge page.

Thank you for visiting 2CarPros.

Kindest regards,

Thursday, July 7th, 2016 AT 2:56 PM