Stalls

PETER METROS
  • 2003 FORD F-150
Replaced fuel pump and filter. My vehicle stalls occasionally at idle or low speed then the vehicle restarts right away.
Thursday, July 7th, 2016 AT 4:54 PM

This sound similar.

This may not be the answer, but you can easily rule it out! This will sort of guide you to what you have to do, it is really easy to do!

My wife's is on the top and has two bolts. Our Escape would idle low, then it got to point it would die when you stopped.

Revving and holding brake was only way to keep it running.

Took it to fellow R/C airplane pilot, he doubles as a S.C. State Highway Department mechanic. When I got to his house, he was repairing a tractor.

Told him my sob story. Escape was still barely running, I raised the hood.

He said, (and I quote)."It could be the idle air control (IAC)", as he pointed to it, and emphasized it with a sharp rap using the wrench in his hand.

It straightened right up, and ran good!

That was a 15/16 Craftsman wrench, box end, kind of a medium rap.

We removed and cleaned it, it may have gone on being Fine, for a lot longer.

Since it was my wife's, I took no chances, with my well-being. Yes, I visited parts store and replaced it, figured it had 100,000 miles on it, and constantly was a moving part, replacement of this component, was just preventative maintenance in my eyes.

Hope this helps.

Hope I am dead on! Cleaning would be free! (Less a can of throttle body cleaner), and at least maybe eliminate this factor out of the equation. You can go on and replace it later, if you have the same feelings about it as I did. It is not really expensive.

Please let me know how this goes.

The Medic
+1
Thursday, July 7th, 2016 AT 5:05 PM
PETER METROS
Thanks. I will check it out let you know.
Thursday, July 7th, 2016 AT 5:11 PM
KEN
Hey,

Here is a guide that might help also.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/stall-at-idle

Let me know what you find.

Best, Ken
Thursday, July 7th, 2016 AT 6:38 PM
JIS001
Most of the time on Fords it will be a bad idle air control valve or collapsed pcv hose. Usually when the hose collapses it will trigger a check engine light with fault code P0171 or P0174 for bank 1 or bank 2 too lean. If no check engine light on then I would lean more towards the idle air control valve.
Thursday, July 7th, 2016 AT 6:51 PM
KEN
Thanks for the additional information. We are a good team.
+1
Thursday, July 7th, 2016 AT 7:42 PM