Stalling

CRYS WATKINS
  • 1988 TOYOTA COROLLA
Hi, I bought this car with low miles from a family friend. It has been sitting for many years (only started a couple of times a week but not driven) and it did not start when we tried to start it. Took it to the mechanic who said after extensive battery charging and a little work he was able to get it started, but it blew out a lot of black smoke (not doing that anymore). However, now when I slow down or stop the car stalls. No check engine light is on oil is clean and air filter was changed. Also, the car will only start again if I push the gas all the way down.

What could be the problem?
Wednesday, June 21st, 2017 AT 1:29 PM

KEN

When cars sit for long periods of time the gas gets old in the tank. I would take a sample from the fuel line and look at it to see if this can be your problem. Next read the codes in car here is a guide to help you.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/toyota-trouble-code-definitions-and-code-gathering-method-1990-1995

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
Saturday, June 24th, 2017 AT 10:58 AM
CRYS WATKINS
Hi Ken,
Thanks for the advice. I had a mechanic look at it and he told me it could possibly be the carburetor. So I took it to a carb guy and it was running great for about 20 miles( I took it on the freeway) by the time I got home I noticed the same thing was happening. I have a 90 days warranty so I'm going to take it back Monday and see what he says. I added some fuel cleaner so not sure if that will help the tank being dirty. I'll update you Monday as soon as I know a little more.
Saturday, June 24th, 2017 AT 11:41 PM
CRYS WATKINS
Also there is no check Engine light on so therefore I'm assuming no code.
Saturday, June 24th, 2017 AT 11:43 PM
KEN

This sounds like the fuel tank is contaminated with water in the fuel or something, try to get a fuel sample in a glass jar to see what it looks like, this would explain the carb getting plugged up in a short time.

Please let us know.

Cheers, Ken
Monday, June 26th, 2017 AT 9:34 AM