STALLING

1992 Toyota Camry

originaljamise

April, 25, 2013 AT 5:30 AM

My distributor, cap, rotor, wires, plugs and air hose were all stolen off my Toyota Camry. A "shade-tree" mechanic replaced all the parts except the hose, but the first time I drove it all the dash lights came on and it stalled. I tried to restart it about 5 times and it cranked but wouldn't turn over. It sat for 20 min waiting for him to show up and when he did it started right up. It didn't do it again for about 3 weeks, then it was daily for 3 days, then every time I drove it. The last time I repeated the process (try to start at least five times and sit for 20 min) it wouldn't start, and the second time I turned the key it made that grinding noise that a car makes when you try to start it and it's already on. I waited another 20 min, it started, I drove it home and parked it. A different person suggested that it might be the fuel pump so I replaced that. It idled for 1 1/2 hrs, then cut off as soon as I put it in drive and made the grinding sound after I tried to start it the third time. Is this a fixable problem and if so how?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

hmac300

April, 25, 2013 AT 5:49 AM

From your description does itnot turn over or does it just quit running? Have your battery checked first auto parts do it for free. Check fuel pressure it should be 38-44 psi. To check place a j; umper wire between engine check terminals B+ to FP. Then get the hose replaced that goes to throttle body from air cleaner as that may be the real culprit here.