Squeaking / Chirping from front left wheel

JASONCYATES
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
There is a squeaking / chirping sound coming from front left wheel. It makes the noise when accelerating, coasting or braking. The pitch changes sometimes when braking, but not always. I've removed the wheel, caliper and pads - and they are at least 80%. The brake pad indicator is not rubbing the rotor. The sound is high pitched and is not a grinding sound. I replaced the rotors with the pads in February. The sound comes in a steady rhythm - so there is a spot on the hub / axle / rotor/ wheel that is rubbing something once per rotation I presume. When turning the axle with the tire off, it turns smoothly when holding the rotor / brake pads tightly in place.

Maybe related / maybe not - sometimes when turning sharply at low speeds, the car will 'slip' as if something int he steering mechanism slipped. The front end shifts slightly. There is no sound associated with that.

Lastly - I checked the tighness of the lugnuts when re-installing the wheel. They are all very tight (star pattern when tightening) EXCEPT even though tight, there is one lug that seems to appear 'shorter' by maybe 2 threads - maybe 1/8" max than the others. The nut is as tight on that lug as it can be, but the end of the lug doesn't poke through the nut as far as the others - as I mentioned maybe 1/8" difference at most. Almost seems to be optical illusion it's so slight. But maybe enough to make a difference?

That's all I know. Can you help?

Thanks!
Saturday, May 9th, 2015 AT 5:01 PM

CADIEMAN
SOUNDS LIKE A BRAKE PAD NOISE. REMOVE THE WHEEL AND CK. FOR LOSE PADS CK. THE PADS IF LOW REPLACE AND APPLY STOP SQUEEL.
-2
Saturday, May 9th, 2015 AT 8:13 PM
JASONCYATES
Please read the post, I've already done that.
Sunday, May 10th, 2015 AT 2:57 AM
CADIEMAN
HI JASON NOISES ARE VERY HARD TO REPAIR OVER THE NET. DID U USE THE STOP SQUEEL WHEN U PUT ON THE PADS?
DID U PUT TRY TO LUBE ALL THE BUSHINGS? RECHECK MAKE SURE IT'S NOT A FAN BELT ISSUE?
-1
Sunday, May 10th, 2015 AT 9:07 AM